Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD every other reboot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Zane Stein

Zane Stein

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

Dell Latitude D610 laptop, Windows XP svc pack 3, hard drive 60 Gb.

After the computer is on for about 3 days, I get a message saying my hard drive is running out of space. I check my C drive, and it shows it's almost full.

I have to reboot twice. The first time I reboot, when the system is all loaded up, I then get a blue screen which wants to start doing a dump. If I shut the computer down and boot up again, the system then comes up and no blue screen. Thus, everytime I have to reboot, I have to do it twice in order to work on the computer.

Sometimes when I get the blue screen, there is a comment about a problem with atapi.sys but not every time.

When I reboot the second time...my hard drive is back to normal....I now have 29 Gb of hard drive free again, which is half the hard drive.

Once the computer starts to boot up, it loads a couple of icons on the desktop, and then sits there for awhile as though it is done. After a few minutes, it loads the rest of the icons, and starts to load a couple of items in the task bar. After another few minutes, it finally loads everything else and then everything seems to work fine for the next few days.

Since the problem began, I have:
Taken out the two 1/2 Mg stick of Ram and replaced them with two brand new 1 Mg sticks.
Replaced the bios battery.
Taken out the hard drive and re-inserted it.
Run a thorough antivirus check, run one on Trend Micro House Call, run Spybot Search and Destroy, and MalwareBytes.
Defragged.
Ran CCleaner.
Run sfc/scannow
Moved a lot of files off the computer and onto an external hard drive
Run temperature checks to make sure the computer is not too hot (I keep a cooling fan running beneath it)reatly ap

I don't know whether perhaps I have malware living in atapi.sys, or a problem with hardware, or some other issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users