Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run .exe programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pietaster311

Pietaster311

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

My computer is infected so I tried to follow the steps on this website for removing spyware, malware, etc. however i am unable to run any executable programs. For example i have tried to run spybot, defogger, dds and everytime I hit Run, nothing happens and then I get a warning that says "Application cannot be executed. The file XXXXX.exe is infected. Please activate your antivirus software."

Also, every 20-30 minutes my computer automatically restarts. Before it restarts thought it goes to a blue screen. On this blue screen it says "The problem seems to be caused by the following file NTFS.SYS. It also says alot more but that is the one thing that stood out to me.

Any ideas on what I can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

You should make a topic here to try and get help, looks like you are infected by a rogue anti virus, from that infection warning.

My advice: Run your computer in safe mode with networking (hold F10 while booting the computer) and download Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Run a quick scan with that, and see if it detects anything.

Edited by Rewster, 11 April 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#3 Pietaster311

Pietaster311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Rewster. First time on this website so still trying to get familiar with where to post.

I am not overly computer literate so I would just like some clarification on how to run my computer in safe mode with networking. Are you saying restart the computer and while it is rebooting hold down F10?

#4 Nischal

Nischal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

Start your computer-->Keep pressing F8-->you will get a series of options-->select safe mode with Networking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users