Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home network hub?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wilku

wilku

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hope someone can help me with this, I recently moved into a new home and I found this home central network hub? If that's what it's called.

I was wondering how I would connect it to the cable modem for the internet to work in each room, it seems pre-wired.

Any help would be great, thanks

Wilku

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

It's a punch down terminal for cat5 wire for phone. My guess is that they used cat5 for telephone jacks in every room. Go to one of the rooms and see if you can plug a network cable into the jack if you can't (because it is too big) then its a rj11 jack for phone. I use these terminal for phone. The orange twisted pair on the back is looped to every orange wire.

I would recommend running wireless if you want to get up an running quick. There is a way to convert the cat5 into phone and Ethernet but it take some know how and would not be something that I could walk you through over a forum unless you have some experience.

uByte

#3 wilku

wilku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

alright thanks, ya its for phone, I don't know why I was thinking its for the internet but ya wireless would be best

#4 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

It's Cat5 which is used for Ethernet as well but a lot of Structural Wire guys like to run that for redundancy and it also gives the option for Ethernet as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users