Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not load past the Windows screen anymore on bootup?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skorge729

skorge729

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hello!

My boyfriend's Dell laptop running Windows 7 was restarted today and it did not turn all the way back on. It got to the Windows loading screen and then stopped and went to a black screen. There is a clicking noise where it almost sounds like it is trying to do something internally but won't. This has happened several times today with no avail.

His virus software wore off about two months ago and we have not had money to renew it, however we had scanning software on it to scan frequently and there were no viruses that we were aware of.

His computer does stay on quite frequently and does not get much rest, but it hasn't been on very long today to have overheated I wouldn't think. He is a college student so he needs his computer to be in working condition haha. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you. :)

EDIT: I did not realize this at first, but the laptop was actually DROPPED on the ground off of the surface it was sitting on. :( He picked it back up and turned it off and tried to reboot it. Any hope for this situation?

Edited by hamluis, 12 April 2011 - 08:09 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

Well you are looking at two possibilities here.

Possibility number one is the hard drive has sustained damage from the impact, that would be the clicking noise you hear.

Possibility number two is a cooling fan has become dislodged from its mount or the fan blade has become warped and is hitting something inside the shroud area.

A damaged hard drive would require replacement with a new drive.

The possibilities above are of course just guesses at this point, because an visual inspection would have to be made inside the laptop to varify if the cooling fan is an issue.

Booting to a hard drive diagnostic utility may reveal issues with the hard drive its self.

In order to do this you would need to know exactly who the hard drive manufacturer is.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 April 2011 - 11:30 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

I agree with MrBruce but am leaning towards a hard drive failure, especially since the system has been dropped.

What does the clicking noise sound like? Is it rythmic like the ticking of a clock?
That is the typical sound a failed hard drive makes.

One thing you might try is to turn the system over and inspect the fan to see if it appears to be spinning correctly.
You might also be able to isolate where the sound appears to be coming from on the system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 skorge729

skorge729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

A computer savvy family member looked at the hard drive and said it was indeed broken. Something about the things that fire for it to work, were no longer doing so...I don't know much about the actual computer insides. :whistle:

But, in case he was wrong, the fan would cause it to no longer boot up as well?

If we have to replace the hard drive, I did a little research and found the following as possible replacements:

500 GB: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200572694006

320 GB: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-320GB-Dell-INSPIRON-1525-1545-1720-Hard-Drive-HD-/200540976193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb12c7441

He has a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with 500 GB and 5400 RPM. Are the above links sufficient enough as replacements? May go with the 320 GB instead of 500 GB because I do not think he used all that much on his system and he has had it for a few years now. His old hard drive was a Toshiba, we found out when we cracked it open. The guy selling the hard drive's from eBay gives a few different brands of what the hard drive might be. What's up with that? :huh: I guess it doesn't matter too much? Maybe I should buy the hard drive from somewhere else (but I am new to finding technical parts on the internet)?

Thank you for the replies!! :thumbup2:

Edited by skorge729, 12 April 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

You can get a better, faster hard drive like this from NewEgg.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

I want to mention that there is the possibility you may find other things wrong with this laptop.

The circuit boards built into laptops are not shock resistant and they can develope cracks where the screws hold the boards into place.

Toshiba drives can be replaced with Western Digital drives, they pretty much have the same connections.

The drive Killerx525 recommended is a good drive and will fit your laptop.

If you want to avoid the mailing time, fees and wait, you can get laptop drives from Staples or officeMax super stores, which are U.S. based nation wide.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 skorge729

skorge729
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies. We bought him a new hard drive, put it in, and everything is good to go!

You all were super helpful, as always. :thumbup2:

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

No problems :thumbsup:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users