Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Booting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Storm3

Storm3

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hello once again,

This site has always been great and helpful, so I hope someone can help me with my current problem. I have a PC running Windows XP. Today, while I was checking email, the computer started moving extremely slow to the point where I decided to reboot it. However, after rebooting it, it gave me the following message: "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I did the Ctrl+Alt+Del but it took me to the same message. After trying a few more times, it then has given me the following message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." When I press Enter, it takes a minute or so before repeating the same message. I unplugged everything from my USB ports, just in case, but still get the same message.

When I just decide to restart the computer manually, it goes to the "ALi SATA BIOS V1.10 A (M5289) © ALi Corporation 2005, All Rights Reserved. Identifying IDE drives .o.x" screen and takes a while on that. It then shows my Master as being the SATA, nothing for my slave and then the "Press Ctrl+A for (something... I can't remember what)" before it goes back to the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device..." message.

To be honest, I just mainly want to get into my computer one more time so I can save some files that I do not want to lose. If the harddrive is about dead, so be it, but I really want to get some files off. I'm not great at dealing with BIOS and things like that so any help and/or recommendations on how I can get past this screen would be greatly appreciated. I can access my BIOS SETUP UTILITY screen if that's any help.

Edited by Storm3, 11 April 2011 - 06:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have access to another system?

My first thought is a bad CMOS battery...worst case, a failing hard drive.

Louis

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

You may also want to extract your HDD from your machine, set the jumpers to "slave", and piggy back it onto another working maching if you have one available. You can then check it for errors (and possibly fix them), as well as backing it up. If the HDD checks out OK, still back it up then reinsert it into your problem machine as the "master". This may help. Let us know how it goes!

#4 Storm3

Storm3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

Forgive me but I'm not sure what exactly you need for system manufacturer and model. I'll give you some information that I do know and hopefully this is something you need: BIOS Version: 939Dual-SATA2 BIOS P1.60 Processor Type: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ (64 bit supported). 1st Boot Device: IDE: ST3160815AS.

I'm sorry if none of this is what you're looking for, but my mind is a little frazzled from fighting with this computer all day.

And I do have access to another system, an Acer laptop (which is how I'm able to be on this site).

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

The system manufacturer is the company that makes the PC...either "Hewlett Packard", "Dell", "Compaq" for examples. And the model number should be found somewhere on the case of the computer... "Pavillion", "Inspiron", "Presario" for examples. Like me, you may also have an "emachines, T6212", or another brand.
Do you have access to another PC? Or only another laptop?

#6 Storm3

Storm3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'm so sorry I haven't responded back to this in a while. I've been very busy, and I ended up solving the initial problem with my computer not rebooting. It finally let me get to the boot menu, and I selected "boot with last known working configuration" (something similar to that) and it finally booted up and has ever since. To answer the question about make/manufacturer, I had an idea that's what was being asked of me, but this computer has been pieced together and added to over the years so it's hard for me to remember. I do think it's a HP system, but a local computer repair shop has replace and added to it multiple times of the years.

However, it is now having another problem, which may/may not be related, so if I need to just start a new topic, please let me know. I just got Roadrunner back in February, switching from DSL. After the switch for about 2 days, my computer would just stop working and give me a blue screen with the heading "Machine_Check_Exception. I started looking up solutions to this, but before I found a definite one, it just stopped doing it and worked great until this past month. Two days ago, however, the power went off for about 3 hours. Ever since this happened, it has started giving me this "Machine_Check_Exception blue screen again. This screen pops up at least within 10-30 minutes of rebooting my system. I finally was able to take a photo of the blue screen, which was difficult since it doesn't stay on the screen for too long until the computer reboots itself again. I have attached this photo, which I hope was alright for me to do.

I haven't installed any new software, programs, etc. that I can recall. Thinking it might be the modem since it didn't start this until I got Roadrunner, I have unplugged my modem and router, but it still will give me this screen. The only other thing I've added is magicJack for my telephone, but it still gives me that screen with magicJack unplugged and uninstalled. It might just be coincidence that it started doing this again right after a three hour power outage, but I don't understand why it would go 2 straight months of not doing it and then just decide to start giving me this error again.

As I said, if I need to make a new thread about this, please let me know. Any help and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users