Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mom's Work Computer Infected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I get up this morning, to find that my mom's work computer has been infected with Antimalware Doctor. I of course come to your spyware removal guides, and follow the instructions. I have to leave for school though, so mom keeps running the MalwareBytes scan and goes to take a nap since it's taking so long.

I come home today, and she tells me when she got back to her computer that MalwareBytes and the malware log wasn't on the screen at all. AntiMalware Doctor wasn't gone either. She ran a system restore this afternoon, and as far as we could tell AntiMalware Doctor was gone. She kept running into where her computer would just show a blank screen, and wouldn't boot up. She had to restart several times before she could load up her OS.

I tell her she needs to install Avast! antivirus on her computer, and she goes looking for it while I'm at school. However, she tells me she keeps running into re-direct problems and can't install Avast! So, I get home and install WOT on her computer and look at the websites they're redirecting her to. Sure enough, they're dangerous, but they're search directory websites of some sort. So we can't install Avast. I took one of my old USB's and put the installer on it, and installed Avast on her computer. However, Avast couldn't update, and we figured it had something to do with Norton. Avast had said that her Norton Antivirus was in-compatible with Avast, so we try to uninstall it.

The Add and Remove Programs list isn't populating, which leads me to believe something is hiding it. I also tried updating Avast on the other two computers we have, and they wouldn't work either which makes me think maybe the Avast! website isn't letting us update.
And then, Avast pops up with two messages saying her work computer has a couple of root kits, so we disconnected her computer from the network just in case.

We tried another system restore, and now we're back to where her computer won't boot up again. She's been out of work all day, and if we send her computer to get it fixed, she'll be out of work for even longer!

Some help would be appreciated, we're both about to rip our hair out! We don't want this spreading to our two other home computers, either.

Thanks!

EDIT: We've got Avast! up and running, and Norton removed thank goodness! However, Avast! is beginning to detect many instances of a hidden boot sector, and keeps mentioning something about rootkits. Hopefully we don't have something deeper here!

Edited by Cartoon Shark, 11 April 2011 - 05:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Sorry about the double post, but we've got a big problem now.

Everytime I scan, it comes up with the same infection. It's a rootkit or some sort of infection in the MBR. I've tried a quick scan, full scan, and a boot-time scan and every time the infected MBR file shows up, even after it's supposedly been deleted. I have no knowledge on how to remove MBR infections! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users