Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless to Office

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rollbar

Rollbar

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello all, hope I'm in the right section.

I have a problem and I have exhausted all that I know of to do.

Let me explain what is going on and then hopefully some of you can guide me in the right direction.

Here is the wireless router I have: UBEE DDW3612

Here is the antenna I have @ the office:
Here is what I have @ the office,a 2dbi but now I found out they have 5dbi:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/Search...&CatId=2688
Posted Image

----------------------------

OK, office window on left. Looking up @ 2dbi antenna. Black 30' wire has to be taken down, antenna won't push through/legnth.

I will post these pictures from the office window to the house. Distance 250' from antenna to house. NO line of sight.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking down the side wall of which we will be painting and changing the colors of the building in May.
Posted Image

Posted Image

End of building
Posted Image

House, garage, Peaches Jeep
Posted Image

5' from buildings corner on regular, no zoom
Posted Image

1/2 way from corner of building on regular, no zoom
Posted Image

1/2 way looking back at building
Posted Image

1/2 way looking back at building but w/a different angle
Posted Image

Getting closer to the house, window on right = bedroom, center = where router is. Note, old router/D-link was in right side window.
Posted Image

Center window where router is. House getting painted as well as the left door to match the house.
Posted Image

Router in window
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Center window at house looking back at building. NOTE the small square window to the left. That is where I was thinking of putting the repeater.
Posted Image

This is a zoom from the center window to show the small window at the building for the possible repeater placement.
Posted Image

This is a pic from the right bedroom window looking @ the building, notice it is more in line w/the antenna and not having to go over the peak of the buildings roof etc.
Posted Image

Distance 202' (from the buildings window to the edge of the building is 15' to left, + 30' to office)

I am getting a good signal @ the office but I can't down load anything, takes for ever. I did have my old D-link "N" 615 in the bedroom window and had no problems/just slow. My kids came home from college/Alabama and they brought their X-box etc so I decided to move the router (supplied by the cbl company - long story) so they could be hard wired in. Thus leaving me with my problem.

What I would like to do is either put a new system in that can hook to the routers antenna for gain/transmission, OR, preferred would be to add a antenna (better one) at the office building. Maybe moving the antenna to the end of the building along the outside but I don't know what to buy that will hook up to the USB or the PC towers place for a wireless. The PC I'm running is a HP-Pavillion, a6863w - WIN7 (upgraded from Vista).

I also was thinking of a repeater but not sure the antenna moved to the end of the building would be better.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollbar

Rollbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

I have even considered this:

Go to the bottom of this page and it has different tab to click depending on needs:

http://wifi-link.com/wifi-wlan-booster-antennas

I might be good for me to just tell them my problem and let them figure it out unless you can w/the pictures.

I wonder which antenna to get. Again, need to receive/transmit. I did see a USB booster.

So many questions but I have to get this right this time.

Here is another link I'm reading:
http://www.wifi-link.com/easy_setup.php?type=07

This site seems to be in the UK/Twain, not sure I would buy from this site :whistle:

Edited by Rollbar, 11 April 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Since you are so far from the router you are nearing the end of the usable range. Honestly I'm surprised it even works at all. If it were me I would run some pvc conduit between the buildings and hardwire the connection since you are well under the 333' maximum of ethernet. If you must stick with wireless your best bet is to get te antenna on the side of the building near the house so there are no obstructions. Also set the router to use the 40 mhz 2.4 Ghz band since it has better range.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

If your handy with electronics then you could build a Biquad Dish Antenna others have used 2 dishes one to send one to receive and beamed the signal over a mile. I would start with one dish. For a little cheaper you could start with a Can Anetenna. Pre made solutions can be found here, look at the Nano Station and the Nano bridge.I started building a Biquad antenna (still have most of the parts) but I switched University's for a Semester and I can't connect to the local Wireless network even if I could get the signal (its about 15 houses away) Campus is less then a mile.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2011 - 01:59 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Have had excellent service out of a pair of these <examples only shooting over a 100'.

Through heavy rain, snow and full foliage on a couple of trees. Have never lost the signal in over 4 years. Not cheap but they work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users