Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With My Self-built Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 formetopoopon90

formetopoopon90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys, i'm new here and i had a pretty big problem. I'm new to building computers, and i guess i know alot about computers, so i'm not exactly a newbie. :thumbsup: lol. But this is the first computer that i have "tryed" to build. First of all, lets start on my problem :flowers: . My bro's computer was acting up one day and i fixed the problem. I took everything out, and put everything back in just to make sure everything was doing ok. When i put it back in the power came on for about 2 seconds, then shut off. I was really confused about it so i just played with it for a while, and it just kept doing the same thing. I finally decided that the processor was fried. I practically decided that it was junk, so i just put it in my corner. Back about 2 weeks ago i decided to build my mom a computer. I ordered about $300 in parts, so its not exactly the best computer, but it would do.
I carefully made sure that everything i ordered would fit, work, and assemble with everything else i was ordering except for the case and the new power supply. The motherboard was a Micro ATX board, and the case was a regular ATX case, and the power supply was a ATX power supply :trumpet: . I read many topics and forms saying that the micro ATX wouldn't be a problem, with putting it into a ATX case. So when my equipment arrived from newegg.com :inlove: i put it all together. I MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT. I assembled everything on a table, and laying the motherboard on the anti-static case it came in, to make sure that static wouldn't mess up the parts. I also used a non-magnetic screw driver :cool: . When i put everything together and turned it on, the SAME EXACT THING happened to the new computer, that happened to my bros computer. The power came on for about 2 seconds and then stopped. I was so mad. Does anyone know what could be wrong? It can't be any of the new parts because its all new, even the power supply which didn't come with the case, Cost about $40. The only other thing i can think of that might be causing this problem is the way i mounted the motherboard. I put Screwnut Standoff's into my case, and then put the motherboard on those, and then put just regular screws that came with my case into the motherboard, which went into the Screwnut Standoff's. I didn't use any kind of washers, or plastic spacers of the sort. Just Screwnut Standoffs and Screws. Maby i did something wrong there. Thanks. Can anyone help me. I would be very thankful. Thanks!!!! :woot:

(moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 29 December 2005 - 08:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

Have you double checked you on\off switch? Have you made sure your RAM is seated properly? Have you checked your video card to insure it is seated proprely?
I know it sounds simple but any break in the system will not complete the loop and nothing will work.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 formetopoopon90

formetopoopon90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:01 PM

Hi and thanks for posting back. I dont know exactly what you mean by the on/off swtich. I Turn it on the "I" and then push the power button on the case, starts up for a second, and then shuts down. The ram is properly placed, and it has onboard video. I didn't mess with any of the jumper settings, so the settings i guess are the settings it came with .I'm so confused right now. Maby i should try putting it into a different case. I have an extra ATX case. Maby that would help?

Edited by formetopoopon90, 29 December 2005 - 08:02 PM.

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:48 PM

I don't know if you've been trying this in the same outlet or not, but you might want to check that if you haven't. Your brother's computer doesn't seem to have a fried processor. Most of the time when this happens the computer will start and the fans will spin but nothing will happen.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

What you describe fits the description of a typical overcurrent condition. The power supply detects too much current being drawn and shuts off to prevent damage.

See if the motherboard will boot up while outside the case, placing it on a non-insulative surface. If it turns on and stays on, then you need to use those insulative washers.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users