Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Attack. Files Missing. MacFee message "Your Computer is at Risk"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krishnasamy nallasiv

krishnasamy nallasiv

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I have bought a brand new DELL inspiron a month back. Yesterday evening i was borwsing through and all of sudden windows was scanning the laptop and showed below errors:

I`ve got 5 critical error as below(i`ve tried to remember few of them)

1) Harddrive not responding within 500 ms - Critical Error
2) 40% of harddrive not accesible - Critical Error
3) Harddrive does not respond to system commands - Critical error

Like this another similar error message which was also critical was displayed and was told to fix it ASAP. I saw MacFee pop up "Trojan" found and removed..
After that i tried to goto WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER and i saw MacFee was in OFF and not able to on even after several attempts.

But i`m sure Macfee was on regularly. And soon i saw all my files in harddisk were missing and the space in Harddisk was still showing as it was beofe virus attacked(i.e with used space).

I`ve tried to restart. Still Risk message came from macfee and all the option of MacFee were in RED(could not ON by manual as well)

Also i tried to do SYSTEM RESTORE for a date (as of 8th April 2011). Still problem exists.

*) After hearing from my friend, i`ve installed Malware Bytes and did FULL SCAN. It had found 2 TROJAN virus and i`ve REMOVED both using Malware bytes.

After 2 times of restart after above step, i`m not able to see the files missing and still the Macfee "Your computer is risk" is popping up.
Windows seem to be working OK.

My kind request for you to help me in my lap. I`ve got very valuable documents and i`m looking to get back it eagerly.

Please help me. :o

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Krishna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 krishnasamy nallasiv

krishnasamy nallasiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Just wanted to giva an update on this. I have tried to uninstall Macfee and re-install . A full scan shows Green status and no virus is detected.

Again Malware bytes is quick run and it doesnt bring me any virus where are as yesterday it found 2 trogan`s and i`ve removed yesterday night.

I tried to go to Document`s folder and could see the View option as -> Unhide folders (checked).

Documents are there but the folders are hided and i would like to know the exact fix for this and do not want to have the hidden files shown as a round about for this problem.

Please help me.

#3 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

Welcome to BC

Try post 2 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic390420.html Let us know how it goes.

#4 krishnasamy nallasiv

krishnasamy nallasiv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hi...

i`m surprised that your answer was exactly the screens i`ve found after the malware attack.

I`ve cleared the malware and ran the i-hide exe file and yes, i`ve got all the unhidden files to teh original look and appearance.

Thanks a lot for helping me in this issue.

Just want one more help. Will it be possible to check if the performance of the laptop is affected by anymeans of this malware attach.

Could you please help me?

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hi krishnasamy,

Try running an online scan with ESET. http://www.eset.eu/eset-online-scanner This will take a couple of hours. Good Luck

ETA: You are more than welcome.

Edited by coles1mom, 13 April 2011 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users