Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Back From The Shop, But...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

As some of you may know, I had to send in my laptop for repairs a few weeks ago. Well, I got it back today. The damage was worse than I expected; they had to replace the hard drive. No kidding.

Now, this problem is just annoying. Everytime I boot up the laptop, a system prep window opens, and gives me some opitions to click and some other gobbldy-gook. I will try to get a screen cap so you can see what it looks like. Could this be a result of replacing the HD? Or something else? And, how do I stop it from appearing? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, and as soon as Service Pack 2 is finished installing, I will try to get a screenshot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

Have you gone to the notebook's web site and downloaded the software that accompanies the notebook computer. There may be special software that is unquie to that brand of computer that is needed for proper configuration.
Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

Okay, I installed Service Pack 2, and that window no longer appears. However, I found out that I have another problem. My usb ports are not functioning. They do not install my 1 gig flash drive or my wireless mouse; And when I tried to install them manually (control panel=>add hardware), it tells me that another installation is in progress. I never told it to install anything! What is it installing? How do I find out and stop it!!!

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

Hi rms4evr you do seem to be having a tough time with that laptop. I'll try to help.

What brand and model is it?

Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.
Look particularly under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'
Does the word "Enhanced" appear anywhere in that list?

Do any of them have a red or yellow symbol after the name?
If so look at the properties of the device indicated (by double clicking on it).
Tell us the name of the device and the message in 'Device Status' when you double-click it.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 December 2005 - 09:41 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

Man, what a headache.

If USB driver reinstalls fail to fix, then check the BIOS to see if the USB Emulation is ON. You never know what the testing did at the service center did...

I have gone round and round with similar problems with what you were getting, and didn't get fixed until we reinstalled XP AGAIN.

I would also like to know if the flash drive has a 'power led' on it, and does it light up or stay lit? USB does use some (not much) voltage....

Lazarus

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the input. No, the light on the flash drive doesn't light up AT ALL! I am using the boot cd right now (there was no data to lose anyway); if that doesn't work, I will check the USB settings.

*sigh* I hate this. Thanks again, Guys.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

Could you be on an unpowered USB port, and the device needs a powered port?

#8 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Could you be on an unpowered USB port, and the device needs a powered port?

Possible, depends on the OEM...

-Lazarus

#9 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Luckily, the boot cd fixed the issues I was having.

Now if only I could figure out how to fix the dead pixels in the middle of the screen....

BTW, there are such things as unpowered USB ports? I had no idea.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:39 AM

Do you have access to a powered USB hub, friend, family, co-worker? There are usually about $20-$30. Buy one from Besr Buy, CmpUSA, or my favorite Walmart, and try it. If it do not work take it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users