Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk/f Never Runs at Startup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 gasmith2

gasmith2

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

I have some corrupted files on my hard drive and since I can't delete them I know that I need to run a chkdsk /f. When I schedule a chkdsk /f to run on startup and restart the comp, it never comes up. What should I do? Thank you!

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Also I can't do a defrag either because it says that a chkdsk /f is scheduled at startup. So I am thinking once the chkdsk/f problem is fixed I can also defrag the comp. If there is another way to delete corrupted files on a hard drive I am all ears.

Edited by gasmith2, 11 April 2011 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

If you are running a chkdsk /f then you are using the command prompt to initiate this. After you have entered the chkdsk /f command are you clicking on Y to accept?

I noticed in your post that you have chkdsk/f, there should be a space between chkdsk and the forward slash ( / ).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

That was a typo in post. It should have said "chkdsk /f". I do click on Y to accept. And when I restart the comp it doesn't work. Now what?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a MS XP Pro CD? If so, have you tried running chkdsk /r (not /f) from the Recovery Console?

Louis

#5 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Dell Latitude D810

I do not have the CD with me right now, but I can get it later. I haven't tried the chkdsk /r from the recovery console. Do I run the chkdsk /r the same way as the chkdsk /f? I know that I already have the recovery console installed, cause I see it every time I startup the comp.

Edited by gasmith2, 11 April 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

Well...I would have preferred that you had a CD from which it could run, rather than your system...since it seems that something prevents it from running properly on the system. The same thing may prevent it from running via files preinstalled on the hard drive.

Louis

#7 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Possibly. The Recovery Console was installed a while back. I'll get the cd and report what happens. Also an XP update called KB961118 has been asking to be installed on my comp for years. Whenever I say install it acts like it is going to then says it can't install. Any thoughts?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

My guess would be that it's unrelated...Windows Update issues have a life of their own :).

Louis

#9 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Apparently...you have any idea how to get rid of it or update it?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

You can download it and manually install it from your desktop...if it's only one update.

I find that a given KB may refer to a number of different updates over a period of time.

You can use Google to see what it turns up for that KB and XP.

Louis

#11 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hey!

I downloaded and burned Service Pack 3. I ran chkdsk /r at startup and it told me that the drive was in good shape. The same files are still corrupt on the hard drive so what should I do now?

Thank you!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

If you have corrupt system files...you need to either do a repair install of XP...or try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Perform a Repair Installation - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#13 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

But if I can run a chkdsk /f it will fix my problem. So how do I just do that. Thank you.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

<<I ran chkdsk /r at startup and it told me that the drive was in good shape>>

Chkdsk /r includes the chkdsk /f function.

Chkdsk /r is 5-step process, chkdsk /f is 4-step, the auto chkdsk which runs because the system needs it badly...I believe that's 3-step.

Louis

#15 gasmith2

gasmith2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

Why wouldn't the chkdsk /r see/fix the corrupted files? I don't have the Windows XP Pro CD-ROM so I am trying to avoid that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users