Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Hard Disk 0 Not Found (dell Inspiron 1150)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KatieJo

KatieJo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hi,
Shut down my laptop as usual one evening with no problems. The next evening when I powered it up I got the Message "Primary Hard Disk 0 not Found"!!!

I Have run Diagnostics as suggested in Owners Manual & it fails at the DST Short test with message
"Error Code 1000-0141
Msg: No drive detected"

I even tried (very carefully) removing the Harddisk & reseating it but with no luck.

At this point I should point out that the laptop is no longer under warranty... So does this mean I have to shell out for a new Harddisk (I can't seem to find an exact replacment on the Dell Website) and have I lost forever all the data on my old one.

Also if I do manage to find a new Harddisk what software do I need to load up and in what order.

Hope all this makes sense - Thanks in advance for any help - don't know when I will be able to check for any feedback as I am relying on the good will of friends to allow me internet time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

Hi KatieJo,

It sounds like your hard drive died. As a >last resort< when there is nothing to lose.... take the drive out and rap it on its side. (looking at the rear of the drive where the pins are, turn it left or right 90 degrees) Sometimes drives heads get stuck in park and this rap will unstick them. Again, this is more or less a last resort when no hope is left with the drive.

For replacement, I would try:
Tigerdirect hard drive section
or
Newegg laptop drive section

Give them a call. They can look up your model and tell you what is compatible.

Do you have restore cds for your computer? If not, the cheapest route maybe to call Dell and see if they have a restore disk for a small cost.

I hope this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 mjc

mjc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:40 AM

Also try laptop parts.com. :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

This week I had a desktop with the same symthoms. It turned out to be a motherboard battery.
I am far from an expert on notebook computers but if you provide the make model number I will see what I can dig up.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:17 PM

I just replaced the hard drive on my laptop, and (believe it or not) the new hard drive was a bit less wider then the old one, and the connector wouldnt touch the connecter on the computer because the drive side that was thinner was pressed against and wouldnt connect, so I folded up a piece of paper and stuck it in between the hard drive and the connecter, workes fine now. Maybe something like this happened to yours.

Otherwise, my bet's on what acklan said, I used to have a computer that the battery was dead on so everytime you used it you would have to go into the bios and tell it there was a hard drive there, because with the battery dead it didnt remember the drive was there.

In fact, try going into the bios and making sure that there is a hard drive listed, that may be all there is wrong, is the batterys dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users