Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun.inf infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Curiousp

Curiousp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I am just not sure what to do right now. Recently our computer was hit by the INF/Autorun virus, and Nod32 kept alerting of continuous infections. I ran multiple scans to quarantine this troublesome virus, but it kept replicating and Nod still quarantined the files. They were located in our printer files from HP, strangely enough, but I am not quite sure how this virus even came to be, as this is my parent's computer, and I always try to inform them of current internet threats and ways in which to prevent infections. This is the first time in two years that we have actually been infected, so I am unsure of how the virus came to be. I researched this autorun virus and it is common for it to multiply and it is said to come from USBs (which we haven't used) and CD drives. Every time a CD is inserted, Nod32 alerts me with the Autorun infection. I booted the computer in safe mode and scanned, and I also searched for any suspicious files. Scans now show no sign of any viruses. There are no symptoms of any infection now, but I know that viruses are very sneaky in that the computer could still be easily infected. I also scanned the computer with the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Tool, and nothing came up.

Is there still a possibility of infection or could it be a false positive? I would like to play my games without the constant annoyance of this Autorun virus. Is it worth downloading Malwarebytes, or getting our Computer Engineer to pay a visit? Is CNET and MajorGeeks reputable sites to download Malwarebytes from?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

Do review the following links in this regard:

Link 1