Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot Up In Win 98 Se

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dsljohn

dsljohn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

[[size=4]]During normal bootup, win 98 se pauses for like 45 to 50 seconds, with no hard disk activity, then continues to load normally. Is there a way or registry fix to make the pause disappear or much less?
The computer this is on is a PII 350, and a gateway machine, with 192 MB Ram, 15 GB HD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

The main improvement you can make is to replace that 192mb of RAM with two 256mb sticks. You will not believe how big of a preformance increase it will make.

For now you can go into Start>run>MSconfig>Startup. Uncheck everything but your security programs. Antivirus, firewall, and antispyware programs. This will also free up some of you RAM since certain programs will not start until you use them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dsljohn

dsljohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

I have turned off everything I deemed unnecessary in MSCONFIG.
Besides Windows normally loading certain drivers, I have Pest Patrol and it's entries loading, also zonealarm and AVG anti-virus loads like 3 things. I have this computer networked with a wireless USB Adapter that loads, and an AOL Tray Icon. But, even before I networked and added the anti-virus and firewall, it was doing the SLOW Boot UP....the long Pause.....
In total, there are now 18 items that load at start up according to MSCONFIG. Thanks for your help.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

I do not like USB. The long pause can be the USB NIC attempting to configure the network. I find USB can cause problem when adding addional devices. Try starting your computer with the USB NIC not plugged in.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:45 AM

I agree with acklan. If you have a Network Adapter thats not in use that can also cause the long pause. Look in Device Manager under Network Adapters and if there is a NIC listed double click it to bring up the Properties on it and place a check mark in Disable in this Hardware Profile and reboot and see if it improves.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 dsljohn

dsljohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

[size=4] First off, I want to thank you all for your help on this problem, and on past problems. This site is a GREAT Resource.
I unplugged the USB Wireless Adapter, and that fixed the Slow Boot Up headache. NOw the computer has a normal length boot up. THis problem is solved thanks to you all. Thanks again, John.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

Are you going with a PCI NIC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users