Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired Internet Suddenly Not Workin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hey guys,

For whatever reason, as of Tuesday afternoon my laptop can no longer connect to wired internet. I am a college student (NYU), so I cannot access a modem or router myself. I have tried:
-Plugging my cord into another jack in my dorm room
-Using my roommate's ethernet cord
-Taking my cord and laptop to different areas on campus (library, other dorms, etc) that use different wired networks, and attempted connection there

Worth noting is that I can still connect to wireless internet just fine (however, my dorm does not have wireless, making things very difficult for me).

Also worth noting is that it appears to connect to the network, but with "Limited or no connectivity." I cannot connect to the internet at all.

My ethernet adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. It was just updated today, in hopes that maybe it was a driver issue (Prior, it was a Realtek 8168C/8111C, whatever that means). All drivers have green checks next to them and appear to be working. Here is my IPConfig info:

Description : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address : 00-1E-EC-55-91-1F
DHCP Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.26.193
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : (blank)

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3. My laptop is a custom-built CyberPower PC. I have done a Malwarebytes Scan, SuperAntiSpyware Scan, and Avast Anti-Virus scan, and have turned up no malware or viruses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Walrus5241, 10 April 2011 - 05:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Your IP address was auto assigned, this normally happens when the machine can't get an ip address at the time and so your computer makes up an address in the 169.254.0.0 network.
Run the program called cmd and type "ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew" without qoutes & press enter while being plugged into the ethernet jack. This will remove this ip address and your computer will try to get a new one. Normally this will work unless there's a bigger issue.

#3 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

Your NIC might be blown. Using the wireless connection, download the latest drivers for the ethernet NIC, extract them into a folder, then in device manager, delete the ethernet NIC. Reboot the machine, and when XP finds the NIC, point to the folder with the extracted driver files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users