Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old laser printer parallel to USB

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajay59

ajay59

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

I have a HP LaserJet 5L that has been a work horse. I am getting rid of all my old computers one at a time and the computer that I used as a hub for my printer is being phased out. I bought a USB printer cable to hook it up to my Windows 7 box, so I can still use it. I have tried installing it through the wizard without any luck. It seems to recognize it ok, but it will not print. Does anyone know how to make this printer work, I would be greatful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

You have to do more than just connect it.

You need to install printer drivers, if any exist, for Win 7.

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=15005&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25480 .

Louis

#3 ajay59

ajay59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi Louis,

Sorry to cause you any pain, I used the wizard to install the printer. I have used existing drivers and installed new drivers. I have unplugged the printer and installed throught the wizard and then plugged it back in. I have used the USB loacal port and then switched it to USB Virtual port. I have tried installing it as a parallel printer then changing it to USB Virtual port. What else can I do? I appreciate you responding to my request.

AJAY59

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

If you have proper drivers and it won't install via any of the modes you ran through...I don't know what to tell you.

Peripherals like that are supposed to be pretty easy to install...that's the way I've always found such.

I'd have to suspect the printer.

Louis

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Start > settings > printers
review the properties of the printer here
perhaps windows sees different properties than they really are.
Or may need to ADD it as a default printer.

Is the printer visible in the Device management and do the properties match?

Disclaimer - I do not have your printer nor Win7

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

USB-Parallel adapters are a hit or miss affair. (I assume you are using that)

The only reliable way to hook up those old printers is to get a parallel card and install that first http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000073%20600022012&IsNodeId=1&Description=parallel&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

I have run into numerous problems with scanners and printers using those USB/LPT adapters.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 ajay59

ajay59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thank you all for the help. I did try to add the printer as the default and no dice. The USB cable was purchased from TigerDirect and is a Cables to Go cable. I figured that was a good product and I would have the least problems. I thought of going the parallel card way, but I wanted to get rid of the big bulky cable. Again, thanks for the input and I will look into the printer properties next.

AJAY59

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Those old HP LaserJet 5L printers certainly are workhorses!

Try setting the printer up manually & use the HP LaserJet Series II drivers.
They are generic enough to run almost any laser printer.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 ajay59

ajay59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

What I did that worked, was. I disconnected the other USB printer I had connected to the same computer. I deleted the HP printer, made sure it was deleted from device manager and shut the computer down. When I booted the computer up, it recognized that a new printer was connected and it worked. It was added as my default printer, since I did not have any other printers. I added my other printer and made it my default printer and it still worked. I want to thank everyone for their input. I have used this HP printer for so long, I was not going to give up. Thanks again.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Glad to hear that you got it working!

Those HP 5L printers were a rock solid product.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users