Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista IE favorites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 borzio

borzio

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi all. I'm asking for help with Vista which affects two computers (co-incidentally, they are not linked even by email). My wife's laptop was upgraded from IE8 to IE9 and she has lost her Favorites list. Another computer which still has IE8 started up a few days ago and Favorites had also disappeared.

From looking on the web I found that I should go to shell:favorites, which I did, and the favorites list there is fully populated. However, back at IE8 or IE9, the star icon has favorites with nothing showing when you open the dropdown. I can add favorites in the usual way.

Could someone explain how I can import the list from shell:favorites to the Favorites dropdown. I can copy but not paste these in as the dropdown does not accept the pointer click.

Hope I've explained this adequately, and thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

The changes in the following require making changes to the registry, and before you proceed please use ERUNT to make a backup of your registry.

Try the following: How do I restore the Favorites to IE?

#3 borzio

borzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hi, thanks Bleeping Madman for the link to Bright Hub, I've followed the instructions for one of the Vista computers and favorites is now back to normal. I'll do the other in the next few days, but don't expect any more problems with this one either.

I did look previously at advice on MS Windows site, but as usual I didn't understand a word as they make something which is quite easy sound difficult. For those (like me) who haven't edited the registry before for fear of self inflicted catastrophy, the Bright Hub instructions are very clear, simple enough for me, and above all work.

So once again, many thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

you are welcome.

#5 borzio

borzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Cryptodan, I have to apologise as I've just noticed that I called you 'Bleeping Madman' previously....with my attention to detail you can see why I was previously reluctant to mess with the registry!

Anyway, thanks again

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

Its no biggie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users