Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need Help With A Compaq Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ambassador-0204

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

First let me start by saying I'm a computer idiot who is learning by trial and error and research. This being said, if you are able to diagnose my problem you'll have to break it down to "dummy terms" for me.

My problem is two fold. The first is that the Compaq desk top was booting up then immediately would go into sleep mode and shut off. One suggestion that I found on another site was that I could be a problem with the cooling system. When I opened the computer and rebooted it the fans were spinning and the computer was cool. I don't know if it could still be a problem with the cooling system though. Second, I put in another hard drive that I had thinking that a virus was causing the problem however I recieved the same result.

My other problem is that I attempted to remove the hard drive from the computer and I'm wondering if anyone knows any tricks to removing a hard drive from a Compaq desktop. I thought that I removed all of the screws needed to remove it, and it will slide back and forth but it will not come out. I know at this point I sound truley ignorant however like I said in the beginning I am still learning.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ambassador-0204

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

:thumbsup: I have found the solutions to both my problems simply by trial and error.

The shutting down was due to a problem with the cooling system. I first cleaned out all the dust from the computer and the fan. I then removed the power source from the casing and booted the computer. No shut downs and no entering sleep mode. After putting the power source back it continued to work.

The hard drive that I was having so much difficulty removing was another simple problem. I really felt foolish after I found out what was wrong. The front face plate comes off and the hard drive pulls out through the front. Who knew?

#3 rigel

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

Hi Ambassador-0204,

Thank you for posting back and letting us know what solved the problem. I sometimes wonder if manufacturers place secret buttons in places to remove things...l :thumbsup:

Take care and best wishes for the new year! :flowers:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users