Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash/Thumb Drives only work on first PC they are used on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grrldp

grrldp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

I have a laptop and a desktop, both XP Service Pack 3, both Dell. I bought a couple Sandisk USB flash drives and an HP flash drive. Plugged one into the laptop, worked fine, copied some files onto it, then plugged it into the desktop, the light on the flash drive came on for a second and then went out, drive is unrecognized. Did the reverse with one of the other flash drives, used first on the desktop and then plugged into the laptop, same thing, light came on then off, drive unrecognized. Once this happens, that USB port becomes unusable for anything until the PC is rebooted. I now have flash drives that work on one PC and not the other. Any ideas what could be causing this and what the solution might be?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

You can try to force it to recognize the flash drive in the Device Manager.

Go to Start> Run and type in devmgmt.msc and press the Enter key.

When the Device Manager opens right click on Computer. When this opens click on Scan for hardware changes.

Other options to try can be found in this Microsoft Support article.

Edited by dc3, 11 April 2011 - 09:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users