Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Etiquette in getting help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 killerwhale

killerwhale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

I need some help in removing a number of viruses, and am unsure of the process here. Is it OK, just to post here, or is there another method? In another part of the site I read something about a log and one to one help or something?

In the hope that someone can help I am going to post. Please redirect me if this is inappropriate etiquette.

I got a warning screen saying that I had a bunch of viruses, and asking me to click to resolve them. I stupidly thought it was actually a part of Windows, but when I pressed the remove button a further warning screen came on saying something wasn't right, and not to proceed. And then my Norton protection software said that an attempt to infect me had been stopped.

Then I ran Norton and got a few minor infections stopped but nothing major.

Now the viruses have alarming names like Trojan Qoologic - Key Logger, and Magic DVD Ripper and Trojan Virtumonde etc etc.

Looking around the web it seems that these names can be associated with Fake Viruses set up to get you to download Viruses in the guise of Anti Virus software. In fact this may have been what the first attempt was.

My question is, how can I be sure I am not infected. Can I trust Norton? Everyone says not.

If I am infected how can I get rid of these viruses.

I am sure these are obvious, stupid questions, but any help in solving this would be much appreciated...

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2011 - 04:05 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

Post your question in the Am I Infected Forum and they will tell you what you need to do.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

As Allan has suggested you should post a topic in the Am I Infected forum. I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you have any questions please post back in this topic with them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users