Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezes up for 1-2 minutes a few minutes after startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spanielsells

Spanielsells

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hello all, I'll try to explain this the best I can... please ask questions if something isn't clear or if you need more info. This problem is driving me batty, and I have no idea how to "cure" it. I've tried everything I can think of.

I'm running Win7/SP1/64, I have 4gb RAM, using an i5 processor. My laptop is an HP Pavilion DV6-3150US. All AV/malware databases are up-to-date (Symantec Endpoint Protection/Malwarebytes) and I scan daily - the system is clean.

Every time I boot the computer, within 10 minutes of boot, Windows will suddenly become non-responsive. This non-responsiveness runs for 1-2 minutes, then everything works great. It doesn't happen again so long as the computer doesn't go into Sleep or is rebooted, and then it happens all over again. That leads me to believe there is something loading up with Windows that is the culprit.

I've flashed the BIOS, am using the latest and greatest version of it (SP50942). I'm up to date on Windows updates. As far as I can tell (using SlimDrivers), all my drivers are up-to-date. I've also allowed HP Advisor to scan weekly and it makes no recommendations that something is out of date.

Using msconfig.exe, it shows the following as allowed startup items:

IDT PC Audio - sstray64.exe
HP Quick Launch - HPMSGSVC.exe
IAStorIcon (Intel) - IAStorIcon.exe
Intel Common User Interface - igfxper.exe
Intel ProSet Wireless - iFrmwrk.exe
Microsoft Intellipoint - ipoint.exe
Soluto - soluto.exe (this was installed in an attempt to find the culprit, didn't help but I like the program)
Symantec Security Technologies - ccApp.exe
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver - SynTPEnh.exe

A note with the Synaptics device, that's the touchpad and I have it programmed to be disabled whenever a mouse is plugged in. Not sure if that's important or not, just providing additional information.

If someone smarter than me (that's not saying much - LOL) can figure this out, I'll be eternally grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

Symantec Security Technologies - ccApp.exe

Hello,

If the solution from Allan is not the right solution, than you can try:

Shut off Symantec Security for a short while for testing.
The problem what you did explain is maybe the program from Symantec.
The possibility is there that you got not the right update from them or maybe is there another problem with Symantec, that will be care that you have problems with the Computer.

#4 Spanielsells

Spanielsells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Looks like the culprit is Symantec Endpoint Security... now for the dilemma. Been running the computer for 30 minutes after reboot without a single lockup.

This is MY laptop, however, the company I work for requires Symantec Endpoint on the network. I know the computer will work just fine on the network without Symantec. I'd rather go back to AVG anyway, which I was happy with and worked great. Our outsourced IT guy never remembers that my computer is on the network anyway, so why not just remove it?

Gotta think this one through...

Thanks for your help!

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users