Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2k wireless utility w/ a USB Wireless stick?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

Running 2k on a older Laptop, running the manufactures (Ralink RT2870 chipset) utility for a USB wireless stick causes issues so I want to try using Windows wireless utility. Problem is, I can't find how to use it. I have it running under Services.

The supplied utility & drivers are installed, but I stopped loading the utility since it causes the PS2 mouse to stop responding as soon as the utility loads. The stick connects and does work, but I have no control over it without running the utility.

I tried another no name sticks software (the exact same stick, but under a different name) but it has a overly complex utility (and a newer driver), but it causes the Laptop to lock up completely.

I never used a USB wireless stick before and never used wireless anything in 2k when I use to run it 6 or 7 years ago. The Laptop isn't for me.

Does 2k have the ability to run a wireless device with its own utility as it does in XP, or is this because it is a USB stick, not a PCI card where the problem is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

If memory serves, wireless is`t native to 2k. At least not with WPA encryption. <- The most current and recommended security for wireless.

Have you checked the OEM site of the device for a 2k compatible driver\configuration utility?

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Encryption is of no issue. I never use it, something more to go wrong.
It's not their utility that I wanted to use, it's M$'s

The Ralink site is down as of now.
http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php

Edited by videobruce, 10 April 2011 - 08:26 AM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Whether you use encryption or not is up to you.

But curious as to why you made the statement. Have a wireless setup running WPA. It sends\receives several 100 feet via two outdoor antennas. Has been up and running for better then 3 years using WPA without a hitch.

If you have other PCs attached to your network just know that they are all exposed to potential unwanted access, cracking, by having an unsecured wireless connection, router.

#5 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

And how is that different than a wired connection?? Wired or wireless, any PC is vulnerable. Those overly complicated cryptic passwords and I have never got along.
AFAIC, there is too much paranoia out there, mostly spread by these AV software companies doing everything to sell their overpriced programs. Having a 'open' WiFi doesn't automatically open you any more to an attack that having a wired connection. Assuming you have your system with a username and password and an internal Firewall.

All that does is allows someone to access the Internet. If someone wants to park in front of my house and send a e-mail, so what? If he wants to 'hack' my PC, he can do it from home. B)

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

And how is that different than a wired connection?? Wired or wireless, any PC is vulnerable.

True. But I prefer to minimize the risk as much as possible.
I do banking and other personal business on my PC. My primary PCs security is a bit of a pain to set up in the beginning but once done it requires very little further input from me.

Those overly complicated cryptic passwords and I have never got along.

Eight or more mixed charters is usually considered sufficient. Many people will use a simple sentence. < Easy to remember but the usual methods that crackers use will have a very difficult time with it. Mix in a capital letter or two. Replace the letter O with the number 0. An E with a 3 an h with a 4. Not real hard to remember but that much more difficult to break.
Then write it down. Also put it in a simple .txt file. Keep the txt file on a flash drive. When needed it`s a simple matter to copy and paste the password into the necessary places as opposed to typing it.

AFAIC, there is too much paranoia out there, mostly spread by these AV software companies doing everything to sell their overpriced programs.

WPA and AV`s are two totally different things and totally unrelated other then both having to do with security.
As well as many very capable and respected AVs offering free versions.

Having a 'open' WiFi doesn't automatically open you any more to an attack that having a wired connection. Assuming you have your system with a username and password and an internal Firewall.

The firewall does help protect the PC. It does nothing to protect the data being transmitted via a wireless connection.

All that does is allows someone to access the Internet. If someone wants to park in front of my house and send a e-mail, so what? If he wants to 'hack' my PC, he can do it from home. B)

And what ever that person is doing while using\stealing the service you are paying for, should it be illegal, even though not targeting you personally can be tracked directly back to you through your ISP.
You can swear all you want that it was`t you. But I seriously doubt the piggy backer will step up and take the blame when the Authorities come knocking on your door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users