Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twixster

twixster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

I cannot shutdown or restart this laptop. When I tell my system to shutdown, it goes through the motions and then stops after the window giving the shutdown status (windows is now shutting down) disappears. By stop i mean freezes, no keyboard access or mouse movements. The only way to shutdown at that point is to hold down the power button. Please, i can not figure out what is wrong, i have tried to kill some services dealing with networking but so far nothing has worked. I am fairly confident that it is a software problem considering that everything works fine in safe mode.

System Specs Toshiba R200
Gig of ram
60 gig Drive
Wireless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

Have a look in Event Viewer to see any errors reported at the time you shut down. To access this, right-click My Computer and select Manage. Click on Event Viewer then view the logs.

#3 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

That was the first thing that i checked when they gave me the laptop to check it and there are no errors at all, at least none that i can find.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

An excellent shutdown troubleshooting resource:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users