Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 19 + Registry question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 warpday

warpday

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hi Bleeping Computer,

For several months now, I have not been able to access my optical devices. I brought it to a computer repair guy when I went to visit my parents in February (he gave me the same advice as Window's support forum) and he said the solutions were to a) do a system restore/last known good configuration or B) reinstall Windows. The first is not possible because this issue is months old and I do not remember when the error began to occur; the second is not possible because my computer is slowly dying anyway and I seriously don't want to reinstall 5+ years worth of settings/programs. I'll eventually have to buy a new set-up and have to do it then.

Ok, so onto the interesting stuff. I am on XP Home on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I have an internal TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C (it plays/burns CDRW and reads DVDs) and an external LACIE brand IDE-DVD DVDRW8651 USB device (it plays/burns CDRW and DVDs). My USB ports work fine for multiple devices (mp3 player explorer, connection to camera, external harddrives, printer, etc).

I have a Code 19 error for both optical devices which means: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)". I didn't willingly do anything to cause this, it seemed to just randomly break one day. I uninstalled both (one at a time), rebooted, and both reinstalled without a hitch. The Code 19 remained. I did a search in the Registry for TSST and found some registry keys:
Key: H:\\?\IDE#CdRomTSSTcorp_CDRW#DVD_TSL462C_______________DE01____#5&281d0fa6&0&0.0.0#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}+PlayDVDMovieOnArrival
Value Data: EHomeVideoDropTarget
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers
(There's also a key that says "Default" in the same folder.)
There isn't a a similar registry key for the LACIE brand IDE-DVD DVDRW8651 USB device.

The thing is... I don't have an H drive. The internal TSST is the D drive, and the external Lacie is the E drive, at least what I remember. Can I somehow fix this with a few keystrokes?

I also found mentions on these two optical devices in these folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DDM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PAPI\DEV
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR

That same computer repair guy in the beginning of the story has a freshly wiped/reformatted Inspiron 6000. If he copied the healthy registry keys for the internal TSST, could he mail them to me on a USB thumb drive and then could I drop/drag them into the correct spots?

Thanks for any insight on this. Don't wanna blow up the computer.

Edited by warpday, 10 April 2011 - 02:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

Any yellow exclamation points in Device Manager?

#3 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Any yellow exclamation points in Device Manager?

Yup, on both of them.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

Go into Safe Mode and remove both IDE Controllers then restart the computer and let it reinstall them.

#5 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Go into Safe Mode and remove both IDE Controllers then restart the computer and let it reinstall them.

I tried this once, but not in safe mode. I tried it as you said though - I booted to Safe Mode and uninstalled both the TSST and the Lacie and rebooted in regular mode. Both reinstalled on their own, but it's still stating that there's a Code 19 on both. I just realized that you said to remove both "IDE Controllers". Please refer to this picture of my device manager -> I was working with both items under DVD/CD-ROM drives. Do you want me to uninstall the four components under IDE ATA/APATA Controllers?

Thanks for your help =)

Edited by warpday, 10 April 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Yes I do want you to remove the controllers.

#7 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Yes I do want you to remove the controllers.

I rebooted in Safe Mode and uninstalled all four drivers. Rebooted into regular mode. All drivers reinstalled (and the two devices). Rebooted again, back into regular mode. All four controllers are "working properly" but the two optical drives are still on code 19.

Edited by warpday, 10 April 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

Can you try the drives in another system?

#9 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Can you try the drives in another system?

I only have one laptop that's running one OS.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

is the lap top new?

#11 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Nope. My laptop turned five in October.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

Time to replace the CD-Drive then.

#13 warpday

warpday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Time to replace the CD-Drive then.

Alright, I can do that. Would you be able to shed any insight on why both my internal and external failed simultaneously? Thanks for your help so far.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

Not sure about that, but maybe just bad timing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users