Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Windows Firewall Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jondevon

jondevon

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hi all. I've got this issue that's driving me nuts. Here we go.

My computer is running XP Home 32 bit. I recently started using the Windows firewall on my machine and I have a weird issue with it. I cannot figure out what to do anywhere online so far. Before I started using the Windows firewall, I had few problems getting my computer to be discoverable on my home wireless network. But when I turn the firewall on, all I can seem to do is ping my machine. I turned file and printer sharing on, and also booted into safe mode and turned it on in the administrator user also. The correct port is supposedly open, but I can't find my machine on my network with the firewall on. What could this be? My other computers run the same software and firewall and they have no issues talking to one another. If I turn the firewall off, I have no issues at all. Please help! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

I recently started using the Windows firewall on my machine and I have a weird issue with it

Hi
Do you run an Antivirus program on this computer or have you changed Antivirus programs - If you do, can you please list it -
Some Antivirus programs come with a partial or full Firewall included -

Thank You

#3 jondevon

jondevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hi there! Thanks for the reply and sorry for not responding sooner. Indeed, yes. I actually did recently remove McAfee antivirus, and it did have a firewall. Could that still be messing with my Windows firewall? I followed the un-installation directions that I found online to a "T", and I think I did remove every last bit of the previous software. Do you think I might have missed something? Thanks again!

-Edit- The antivirus I currently use is the latest version of Avast! free. I also have XP Home SP3.

Edited by jondevon, 10 April 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#4 Filterius

Filterius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Is File and Printer sharing allowed to pass through by firewall in the settings?

#5 jondevon

jondevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Is File and Printer sharing allowed to pass through by firewall in the settings?

If you mean through the Windows firewall, then yes. I made sure the ports were open on the main user that I use, and in the hidden administrator user that you find when you boot into safe mode. Thanks!

#6 jondevon

jondevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

Any ideas anyone?

#7 jondevon

jondevon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:38 AM

Ok. Well, I think I fixed this issue all by my lonesome. It turns out that the only difference on the computer with the problem vs the other 3 computers without the problem was that it was set up with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) ENABLED. It was set to "let other computers use this computer's internet connection" or something. I disabled that checkbox, and now I can connect to my computer again. I don't know why ICS being enabled seems to disable access to the computer through the network. I even made sure the Windows Firewall was set up the same way for the LAN as it was the WLAN. Oh well. I fixed the issue, and I don't really need ICS now anyway. So I guess I'm happy about that? Yay? It's still a mystery to me why it would behave like that, though. >.<

Edited by jondevon, 20 April 2011 - 04:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users