Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ati X700 Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acidizd

acidizd

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

I just got an ATI X700 Pro 256 mb video card. The fan on it is extremely loud and i need to quiet it down a bit, its really annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to replace the fan with a heatsink? or should i get a more quiet replacement fan?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

Dear Acid,

Wow, if you think that is loud you are going to have a problem. That card is designed for high graphics and the more fans you have cooling it the better.

They don't get quieter, just louder. I don't recommend removing the fan and replacing it with a heat sink. Unless it's a huge one and then your going to need a fan to cool the heat sink.

Don't distress, there are a lot of people complaining about fan noise. You can do two things:

First, go liquid cooled, expensive but quiet.

Second, Antec has just put out a super quiet case. I have not tried it yet but it will be my next case. Click here=Antec

I am sure there are other manufactures doing the same.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 acidizd

acidizd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

Dear Acid,

Wow, if you think that is loud you are going to have a problem. That card is designed for high graphics and the more fans you have cooling it the better.

They don't get quieter, just louder. I don't recommend removing the fan and replacing it with a heat sink. Unless it's a huge one and then your going to need a fan to cool the heat sink.

Don't distress, there are a lot of people complaining about fan noise. You can do two things:

First, go liquid cooled, expensive but quiet.

Second, Antec has just put out a super quiet case. I have not tried it yet but it will be my next case. Click here=Antec

I am sure there are other manufactures doing the same.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input. I guess i gotta live with it huh?
I'll try moving the pc or something for starters and go from there.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

Make sure there isn't any dirt, dust or hair in the fan. That can make it louder than usual. Also make sure that the fanblades aren't hittting a cable, 'cause that can really make a racket
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:33 PM

I had the same problem when I got my nVidia 6800GT. I got an ultra quiet VGA cooler from Arctic Cooling, and it works great (can't hear the fan at all, not even with the case open). The one that's compatible with your card appears to be this one. I noticed that it blows significantly less air than the stock cooler, but the card still runs at about the same teperature.

The only thing is, it's huge, and you need to have an open PCI slot next to the card so it can fit and exhause air out the back.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users