Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Operating System Cd Reinstall Fouls Everything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joecichocki

joecichocki

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:22 AM

I have a year old Presario R3200 laptop with a 1.6Ghz Athlon-M processor and 512MHz ram. Recently my D drive stopped recognizing any CD's. If I put a fresh one to write, it would say INSERT A CD IN THE D DRIVE. If I put anything in to play, it would not play even though the CD would mount and show and being in the D drive;
I started looking around the internet for help and one site suggested restarting while repeatedly pushing the f2 key to get the setup screen to see if the computer was recognizing the D drive or not. After I tried this, the computer just became useless and wouldn't boot - without my doing anything to any settings. I tried rebooting about ten times and received a message that my WINDOWS 32 file was lost or corrupt and should reinstall XP with the system CD, which I did. According to the screen prompt, I chose to install the new version of XP in a separate folder to keep intact my software that was one the computer already. And that is where I have my major problem. Any software that had to be registered via a registration number was rendered useless. In looking around in my files now, I have also found that some hardware and other functions (Nvidia graphics card, hibernate function, scroll pad control) which were on the computer when I bought it from Best Buy were eliminated by the reinstall. I know I have a Nvidia graphics card though I don't know the specific one, but it shows nowhere in any place on the computer. I know I had a small control panel before this disaster. And many other settings which I used before are missing (Those for setting hibernation or sleep in the start menu, or power use/consumption). The big one for me is my scrolling, which now looks like a herky jerky line by line bumpty bump down or up the page. Nothing is smooth, and yes, I have experimented changing the settings in my mouse control panel, and the use autoscrolling/use smooth scrolling settings in my browser. Scrolling is okay in windows explorer; however when I get into my newsreader or any of my browsers (Mozilla Firefox, IE, or Advanced Browser) the scroll is slow motion. In Photoshop Elements 3 or Paintshop Pro 9, using crop is another all day affair.

I can work around most of the missing stuff, but this scrolling one is maddening because basically it encompasses the whole functioning of the computer as I use it> And I wonder what the heck happened to my scroll pad adjustment and my ability to determine if/when my computer hibernates or not. In my start menu now where it says TURN OFF COMPUTER, I only have available restart or shut off. Stand by does not function. I could swear I had the hibernate function there before. Many numerous settings have been changed by the reinstall, kind of like Microsoft had something in their plans.

Anyway, if anyone could please give me a suggestion on the scrolling or anything else.

I thank you very much.

Joe Cichocki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:43 PM

Wow!

OK, the easy stuff first. You can't hibernate or standby because you don't have the video drivers installed. A parallel installation of Windows puts 2 copies of the operating system on your hard drive.

So, now you've got your old one (that's messed up) and a new one that doesn't work. The new one probably doesn't work because you haven't installed the drivers that come bundled with the computer.

There are several solutions here - and only you can tell which is best.

You can get the new version of XP up and running by installing the drivers that came with the system (should be a CD full of them in the stuff that came with the computer). This should be described in the product literature with your computer. You can also download the drivers from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...64&cc=us&os=228

Or, you can attempt to do a repair install of Windows on the messed up original installation. Hopefully, this will recover your system so that it will work just as it did before you started experiencing problems. Here's a link on the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

And, once either option is done, you should remove the other copy from your system. Here's a link on one way to do it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...2f88c04e6839245
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 joecichocki

joecichocki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:49 AM

Thanks very much, Sargeant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users