Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing Noise Coming From Computer, Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissypa

Chrissypa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

Hello, About 2 month's ago I added a Maddog Dominator FX 5500 to my son's HP Pavilion a705w. It work's great but about 2 week's ago the comp. started making a buzzing noise. It sounds like a fan. The 5500 came with a built in fan but I'm not sure if that is what the noise is coming from. Could it be the CD drive? How do I check? Everything seems to be working fine it's just really annoying. It seems to be also that the buzzing started after the electric went off one day. The comp. was on when the electric went off and then the next time it was turned on it seemed to be making that noise. Sorry this is so long. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Chris
Go Steelers!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:38 PM

Run the PC with the cover off. Can you locate the source or general area of the noise?

Use a pencil (with some insulating tape, or masking tape, wrapped around the blunt end and at least 4" long) to jam the fan blades momentarily (caution - some of them kick fairly hard) see if you can find one that changes the noise.

If it does not seem to be coming from a fan then power off the machine and remove the power connectors for the CD drives and floppy drive and power on again.

It's possible your power supply may have been damaged in the power outage and is now buzzing internally - do NOT attempt to open the power supply box on any account. Buy a replacement unit.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hello again, I ran the comp. with the side off and found that it is the fan on the video card I just got a month and a half ago. I ran it for about half and hour until it started buzzing. I felt the fan itself on the video card and it was extremely hot. I am on the phone with compusa right now. I got it on Nov. 10 and compusa said I have to call maddog cause they only have a 30 day return policy. So I'm off the call maddog. On the box it says lifetime warranty. So hopefully they will replace it. If not could I add another fan to the pc. It already has 3 that I can see. Thanks!
Go Steelers!!

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

They certainly should replace it if it's only a few months old!
If they weasel out of it because of the power outage then you may be able to get replacement fans of that type from your local electronics store or online. There should be a label on the existing fan which tells you voltage, airflow and possible model number - try to match those figures.

Others may be able to suggest quality brands or sources.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for all your help!
Go Steelers!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users