Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Upgrading, Have A Few Questions...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Himsa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:24 AM

Hello, I put my computer together with the help of a friend about 4 years ago and I am just now looking into giving it a lil more pep. I have a 1250 AMD processor in my spacewalker AK35GT2/GT2R motherboard with 512 DDR ram. I dont know if thats the exact specs but its what I know. :thumbsup:

So my first question is how do I know which processor will be compatible with my current motherboard?

I've already decided to buy 512 more ram, even though I found out that the 3200 is going to run at 2100 cause thats what I have in there now.

Other then that... Is it worth it to get a new processor in and old board? Is it worth it to get 512 more ram in there? I know those are questions nobody can give me a definitive yes or no on, but I'm just wondering what people with more knowledge would have to say in general.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:45 AM

A gig of ram will definately help you with modern gaming and phot editing/whatever software you run, But id probably upgrade the motherboard and processor. If you dont have enough money for a new motherboard and processor, just go with the memory. It will help, although you might run into a little bottlenecking.

#3 enos

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:27 PM

I've been pondering the same question with an 1.4 GHZ AMD. I have decided to wait a few months and see what the hardware specs for Windows Vista are going to be. I hate to purchase new hardware just to find out it won't work with Windows. I am sure whatever you buy will work, but you may not get the best performance. I would rather wait and see what the requirements are. Just my 2 cents.

#4 acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

Sounds like good $ence to me.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

There was an article a while back with some Australian Microsoft guy that said to really get Vista flying you would need a 256MB video card in PCIe x16 and 2GB DDR3 RAM plus a SATA2 hard-drive.

Now that wouldn't be the minimum, I've heard the minimum whispered like 512MB 333MHz DDR, but Microsoft said they won't give any official minimum until next summer.

I think the reason for the hefty hardware is that Vista is going to offload a lot to the GPU and they are worried that about a bottle neck between the GPU and RAM.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

I was in the same boat as you, I have a socket 478 (1.6 ghz) Willamette and 512mb DDR 266 so I decided that putting more money into it would be foolish so I built a completely new machine and now I'm going to let my brother use this one so we can play CS 1.6 against each other. If I was in the same position as you I would keep saving and wait until AM2 comes out and then either go the socket AM2 or 939 route, only real disadvantage is the lack of DDR2 support on socket 939.

Edited by welco, 01 January 2006 - 11:59 AM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users