Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Spyware But Now Xp Is Not Working Correctly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy

Chrissy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:46 PM

I had a spyware problem and used Spysweeper to remove the problems...all of
that is cleared up, but now I am unable to do a few things in the control
panel. I can't change the desktop picture and if I go to the control panel I
am unable to do anything under FILE or EDIT. I'm sure there are more
problems, these are just a couple that I have found so far. What can I do to
fix this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

If all you used was Spysweeper, there's a possibility you still have some spyware/malware on your machine.
There's no one spyware program, that can find and eliminate all spyware.
That's why it's a good idea to run several.
Here are the ones I use on a regular basis:
(They're all free.)
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Download them, update them, and then run them.
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Helpful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jaybeast69

jaybeast69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:48 PM

Go to Control Panel -> Display -> Desktop. Click on the Customize Desktop button. Then select Web and uncheck (or delete) the webpage Security. Click OK

that should change your desktop or remove whatever is currently on there.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

It's not uncommon for the cure to be worse than the problem. Malware attacks your system files - and repairing this damage may also damage the files. Here's a couple of steps that should help (check after each step to see if it's fixed it):

1) Run Windows Update - it'll detect any outdated files that may be on your system.

2) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW - it'll check for any modified system files and repair them with your XP CD (if it asks for your XP CD, you'll have to visit Windows Update to ensure that it hasn't replaced some updated files)

3) Run a repair installation of XP (instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) Visit Windows Update immediately afterward because you will need to reapply the updates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:11 AM

tg1911 is correct. If you are unable to change your desktop background, it may not be caused by a corrupt or damaged Windows file, but rather it may still be being caused by the original infection, as it may not have been completely removed. It would help to know what your desktop is at the moment, or what it says if anything.

I would consider referring the problem to the HJT forum here at Bleeping Computer.

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within.

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 cmnalo

cmnalo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

I recently had "spyaxe" download itself on my computer. After reading many forums on the malware/spyware/trojan horse problem asscoiated with spyaxe I think I was able to remove the problem from my computer. My computer seems to be running fine I have done every update and scan I can think of. I'm now running both Microsoft Beta Antispyware and as usual Norton Anti Virus and Internet security. My problem is that occasionally I get a message that reads

"WMS Idle: ccApp.exe- Unable to Locate Component
This application failed to start because mscoree.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

This occurs when I open various programs and it also occurs when opening Outlook (It is than titled "Outlook.exe" I ran the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW but after the scan nothing came up.
Am I dealing with remnants of the malware of did something get messed up in the clean up process.
Any information of suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

cmnalo, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It sounds like you still have some remnants of your infection on your computer. Info for you is to be found HERE

For future reference, it is best to start your own topic concerning your issues, as it will confuse things if several people jump in to an existing threads with their problems, as it may not be directly related.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users