Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disassembly Trick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

I use this tip when I take apart laptops and other things that have complicated tear downs.

As I start my disassembly, I get a few sheets of paper and draw a diagram of what I am taking apart. Everytime I remove a screw, I push it into the corresponding area in the drawing. As layers are removed... use another sheet of paper. You can also note order of disassembly of hard to deal with areas/items (angles of insertion - pressure points). If you do it right, you will never loose a screw, or place a screw where it doesn't belong.

Hope this helps...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:48 PM

How very clever of you Rigel. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Rigel. I will try that the next time I do a complicated tear down.
Typically, I end up with an extra screw, or one that doesn't fit just right.

Take care,
JC

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

I used to do that when taking my ps2 apart. However, i've done it so much i've memorized the screw locations and tricks to prying apart the case...

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

Rigel,

Nice tip, my Dad taught me pretty much the same thing. He used to take a piece of butcher paper or big blank sheet and tape it to cardboard box. Then you push the screws into the box and they don't roll away or move, then tape parts relative to where they were. The box held pieces that didn't need to be noted or were obvious. Never dawned on me to mention it. I've used this method for years.

Be (Old School) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Allen.H

Allen.H

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

Great ideas, I photograph mine, wouldn't think of doing so with a film camera though :thumbsup: One drawback is If the computer aint working can't view the photo's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users