Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable Device

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 geekster

geekster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:14 PM

Argh! here is my problem. I'm getting the following message on start up after the Gateway Logo disappears. The error message reads as follows: A bootable device has not been detected. consult troubleshooting manual etc... However, there seems to be no solution in the manual. I am using a gateway E Series computer. I was playing around in the BIOS, not a good move for a novice, and then restarted the computer. As previously stated, the computer starts as normal with the Gateway Loge and Intel Logo and then the screen goes black with the 'bootable device has not been detected' error message. Now, I can not even get back into the BIOS!!!!! I have attempted using the Applications and Driver's CD as well as the Operating Systems CD (of which tells me first to insert the red Applications CD) to no avail. please help me before I go nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! geekster.
Glad to have you aboard. You'll be able to solve anything here!

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:57 AM

What is the exact model number of your Gateway computer? What operating system does it run?
Is this a laptop or desktop?

What key do you press to get into the BIOS?
What happens now when you press that key while booting?

Turn on the computer and immediately press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Have you changed any of the motherboard jumper settings?

Take any media (floppy, CD, DVD) out of the drives and power off. Wait one minute then power on and try to enter the BIOS again.

If this is a desktop PC remove the cover and clear the CMOS memory using the procedure listed here:
http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO.../m0030014.shtml

Edited by Rimmer, 29 December 2005 - 01:01 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 PatrickMoe

PatrickMoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

I am getting the same exact problem on a relatively new Gateway E-4500.

A bootable device has not been detected.
Please refer to the product guide.

Press the enter key to continue.

I am also not able to make any changes at all to the BIOS settings.

I have tried many different things with this system now and had no luck at all.

I tried a new power supply first since one of our Jr. technicians here thought that was what the problem was and had it RMA'd while I was out. This didn't help.

I tried a known good hard drive and SATA cable. - No help.
I tried to boot from a Flash Drive. - No help
I tried removing one stick of RAM and then the other. - No help
I unplugged everything from the mother board except what is required to get started up. - No help
I even popped out the CMOS battery and put it back in and this didn't help either.

We recently purchased a pretty big batch of this series and have been having some sporadic and very tricky problems with them. I am starting to suspect problems with the motherboards.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks
No.... We didn't change any passwords today.
Is your CAPS Lock key turned on?.......
Oh. It works now?....
Imagine that.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

"I am starting to suspect problems with the motherboards."

Maybe a corrupt BIOS. Do you have a removable chip? You could try flashing it or
biosman.com cost 20 bucks. They might do discounts
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 25 September 2007 - 11:30 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 PatrickMoe

PatrickMoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Not removable.

This system at one time had a password set to get into the BIOS settings. I couldn't get to the setting to delete the password and because of how many times I was restarting and trying to look into BIOS, I wanted to clear the password.

That was the main reason for pulling the battery in the first place but I was still not able to make any changes there.
Oh. It works now?....
Imagine that.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

I assume you've checked for the clear CMOS jumper. I know on some older machines, you have to leave the battery out for a reasonable amount of time
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

If your gear/pc systems are new I'd peraonally get back on to whom ever you brought them from and enqurie, maybe they have had other enquiries regarding these machines, and possibly get a replacement!

With regards to BIOS and CMOS passwords, just use Google to find what you looking for there are numerous programs out there that will either retreive or kill the password.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#9 PatrickMoe

PatrickMoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

I just wanted to get back and let you guys know that a solution was finally found on this one and thank you all for the help.

I looked a little deeper on Gateway's web site and found this.

G - BIOS Configuration Jumper

Tried it and the next start up put me in maintenance mode. It's up and running now.

Edited by PatrickMoe, 26 September 2007 - 09:05 AM.

Oh. It works now?....
Imagine that.

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:20 AM

Congrats, cheers for posting the fix/solution! :thumbsup:
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users