Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skellymo

skellymo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

Hi
I`m new here so hello everyone. I recently bought a used computer. It came without a program and I can`t install one. I have a windows ME disc of my daughters, but can`t get computer to read it. Will I have to buy a new one or can I use a used one. JW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:06 AM

First let me welcome you to BC.
Could you explan,"cannot read it.". Does the CD drive not read it or does it not iinstall at a certain point?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

If your used computer does not have an operating system it may not be able to access the CDROM drive without booting from a Windows boot floppy first. In later machines you can change a BIOS setting to enable the PC to boot directly from a CDROM drive but your PC may not have that option. If not then it will require a boot floppy to start you off.

Download a floppy image of your choice from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/

Once you make the boot floppy insert it in your 'new' PC and boot from it (with CDROM access if it asks), Insert the Windows ME CD in the drive and at the A:> prompt type E:
At the E:> prompt type CD WINME (I think it's called that)
At the E:\WINME\:> prompt type SETUP

Then follow the prompts to install WinME (even though it's the worst operating system on the face of the Earth)

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users