Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox? Is It Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bruceterp10

bruceterp10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

I have been trying to decide whether or not to change to Firefox as my browser. I currently have IE and am seriously considering changing after some problems. Any suggestions?

Edited by bruceterp10, 28 December 2005 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:52 PM

I strongly suggest you switch to firefox. I use to run into problems with IE all of the time and I haven't had any with firefox. The best feature I think is the tabbed browsing and the search engine bar.

#3 Jalin

Jalin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:32 AM

Firefox get :thumbsup: from me. I switched about a year ago and I`m not looking back to IE at all. I`ve got the 1.0.7 version and read some trouble (minimal) with the 1.5 version but I can`t confirm any about that. Someone might want to chime in about that.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

There have been many discussions of the merits of FF versus IE, including one just today---to read these opinions, just do a forum seach for "Firefox."
I have used Mozilla for over three years, finding it faster, certainly more secure, and more useful. I think it fair to say that a majority of the "experts" here at BC would recommend either FF or Mozilla.
Unlike IE, which is part of the Windows operating system, using FF/Mozilla is a matter of choice and preference. There is nothing preventing you from downloading it , trying it for a couple of weeks, and then deciding which YOU prefer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:35 PM

I Know I know.. You asked about Firefox, But there is another one to consider. Yes Firefox has all those cutesy plugins... Even an egg timer. :thumbsup: :flowers: But if you want basic fast tabbed browsing. Think outside the "Fox" and consider Opera. It's free now, used to be fee based for banner free use. And the reason I switched to Opera from "The Fox" was every time they "upgraded" to a new release, most if not all the cutesy plugins they harp about didn't work for weeks if not months till they were rewritten. I'm not saying The Fox is bad it just wasn't working for me. So try them both and others, and see what works best for you.

Be (Toasty Canine) Safe.. oh and just for your viewing pleasure I just happen to have an Opera Link.

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Firefox is the way to go! I used to be loaded with spyware every time adaware scanned, now I get just a few tracking cookies from like adds that I may click.

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

"park IE in the garage" and use it only for microsoft updates and whatever requires it.

Either FF or Opera are superior to IE.

More accessible, easier to use and safer.
Easier to setup & modify should you like.

Less attractive to ongoing malware author's attention, since the sheer volume of IE users
surpasses by far those interested in using the internet and not patient with the crap that preys on the biggest browser out there
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

And if you do go with Firefox, there's a handy little plugin called IE View that allows you to load any page into IE from the right-click menu if necessary.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#9 batang sira ulo

batang sira ulo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

i been using fox for almost two/tree yrs now and i sticked to it more than any other browsers..i tried opera but i wasnt satisfied of it coz of its OPTIONs settings that are waaaay too cumbersome/confusing for me to set/configure/tweak..that's why i removed it..only thing i loved with opera is that it's download manager which is preddy good comapred to FFOX and IE..too bad thou..
oh my!! my sig!!?

#10 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

Well..from my experiances with IE,FF,and Opera..i'd have to say go for FF (FireFox) but otherwise get Opera if you dont like FF

Posted Image

#11 dpb

dpb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:23 PM

I've been using Firefox for a little over a year (since FF 0.9) and I'm not considering changing to anything else right now. Tabs, improved searching (although that's irrelevant if you install a Google-based searchbar), easy switch-over to IE when necessary, ease of adjustment, stability and security (a biggie, even if FF isn't perfect) have been mentioned.

I would emphasize the plug-ins, known as extensions, which are third-party customizations to FF. They are essential to the FF experience, which isn't as install 'n' go as other browsers. It assumes some degree of computer savvy on the part of the user and a willingness to take the time to cull and install the list of extensions that best suit the user. I suppose that's FF's biggest drawback, if you want to call it that.

To give you a head-start, I've listed my favorite extensions below with explanations of their functionality, mostly as given by their authors.

dpb

Adblock Plus is a hugely popular ad-blocking module. It comes without filters, so installing the Adblock Filterset.G Updater extension, which creates and automatically updates the ad filters in Adblock Plus, is mandatory. Other AdBlock updaters exist, if you want to experiment.

Almost Full Screen supplements View>Full Screen (F11) by preserving the Windows taskbar in Full Screen mode.

Bookmarks Links Checker detects updated, redirected and broken links in your bookmarks list.

Clone Window clones the current tab’s address and history into a new tab when the New Tab command is used or a new window when the New Window command is used. It's controlled from the extensions list in Firefox, as are many extensions.

Configuration Mania Tools menu item allows you to easily configure various hidden preferences and to uninstall extensions which have no uninstaller.

Download Manager Tweak improves the appearance of Firefox’s download manager (if you don’t use FlashGot) and allows it to be opened in a separate window, new tab or sidebar.

FlashGot enables Mozilla and Firefox to handle single and massive (“all” and “selection”) downloads using the most popular external download managers, such as Free Download Manager, FlashGet 1.65 (www.flashget.com), GetRight (www.getright.com), LeechGet (www.leechget.net) and Net Transport (www.xi-soft.com). FlashGot also offers a Build Gallery functionality which helps to synthesize full media galleries in one page from serial contents previously scattered on several pages, for easy and fast “download all”.

FLST shifts the focus upon closing a tab to the last selected tab, rather than the one to the left of it.

gMap It! allows you to find directions from Google Maps based on publicly listed phone numbers.

Google Bar emulates all of the basic search functionality of the Google toolbar.

Google Toolbar—official version from Google—functions same as IE Google Toolbar.

IE View adds “View page in Internet Explorer” links to the content and link context menu.

Image Zoom allows you to right-click on an image and select a zoom option from the popup menu or hold down the right mouse button in combination with the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on an image (text isn’t expanded, that's done by other means).

InfoRSS is a lightweight RSS, ATOM, NNTP and HTML reader. It installs a small icon (looks like an earth) in the status bar. Headlines are displayed in the status bar or in a separate bar (top or bottom of the screen). The interface is simple to use: drag and drop URL of feed onto the extension icon to add a new feed or click on the extension icon to select a specific feed to read. RSS feeds can be grouped to allow multi-feed fetch; filters can be used to limit the number of headlines.

Jump Link allows you to skip through redirect links and jump directly to the target link. It works on many Google hits that otherwise run afoul of FF's "no redirects" feature, mainly the paid placement hits.

ListZilla outputs, as HTML or text, an alphabetical list of extensions or themes.

MR Tech Local Install automatically sorts Extensions and Bookmarks alphabetically.

OpenBook automatically opens the bookmarks tree in the Add Bookmark dialog. Nice.

PermitCookies sets cookie permissions for any website you are viewing.

PlainOldFavorites allows storing Bookmarks directly in the IE Favorites folder without needing to import or synchronize them first. A link to Favorites can be found in several places throughout Windows, which makes it a convenient place for storing links.

Preferences ToolBar 2 adds preference checkboxes, utility buttons, user agent spoofing, web links and more on a customizable toolbar.

PrintIt! adds Print and PrintPreview to the context menu.

SaveWithURL modifies Save Page As to always include URL.

Superscroll gives you more control over scrolling behavior in the browser.

Tab Sidebar replaces the main tab bar and displays a continually updated preview of the page on the tab; provides navigation options for each tab including history, stop and reload; and allows you to move tabs around with drag and drop.

Tab Clicking Options sets various actions to different clicking events on the tab bar or a tab in the Firefox browser.

Tab X adds a close button to each tab and removes the close button at the end of the bar.

Undoclosetab will, of course, Undo Close Tab. Nice.

Windows Update adds Windows Update to the FF Tools menu; that is, it opens IE and goes to MS’s WindowsUpdate Web site because Microsoft requires using IE for updates.

Edited by dpb, 02 January 2006 - 05:31 PM.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

Just as an added note to dpb's post, which might be off-putting to a newer computer person; theFF browser will work just fine without these extensions, but each adds a little extra functionality IF you need it (I for example, constantly use the BBCode extension here at BC, but don't use most of those mentioned above).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:42 PM

Firefox, all the way, for 2 simple reasons.

It can be as plain, simple, and elegant as you want.
It can be as complex, productive, and super-powered as you want.

#14 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

I agree. With Firefox your more secure on the web than say if you use IE.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#15 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

I just LOVE Firefox..its simple for me to use..and I love the bookmark thingy..always using that to get to here...and the BBcode..well using that now then!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users