Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have seen many negitive things on here about Norton Anti-Virus....it came on my new computer n I have been using it as well as other things.....everytime I ran Norton it shows nothing then I run something else n' it will
find something.
Should I uuninstall Norton even though it came ON the computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

cherylisfun,

IMHO, yes! get rid of Norton/Symantec. They are a huge resource hog for the amount of protection they provide. As you have already seen here there are free alternatives as well as paid ones. Also many AV vendors have try before you buy time periods. So you really can find the AV that fits you best, free or not.

Here's the Bleeping Computer list of free apps.
Here's another link that compares AV's. Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software.

Be (Anti-Virus Selection) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

I for one vote to uninstall it. I have seen free antivirus software do
a much better job then Norton. And yours is the same complaint
i hear over and over: "Norton finds it, but can't remove it"
Check out free AV's such as AVG
http://free.grisoft.com

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

It depends. Norton has many versions, and has changed just about every year. It is not a universally dependable program, and I reckon the reason for this is because it is large and intrusive adding miles to your registry. This makes it difficult to remove, without Symantec tools, and these must be related to your precise product. My experience is long after I have removed the program I still tum up 'Symantec' or 'NV' somewhere on my computer. I have tried Norton 2003 and 2004, but gave up with an unsolved problem trying to obtain Live Updates. I now use CA EZ trust Firewall (the same as Zone Labs) and E trust AV. I've had a Trojan problem, so far which I found with A2 trojan hunter, and didn't bother with E Trust which takes about 2 1/2 hours to scan. I think everyone has different opinions about Norton, and it is a constant talking point for those that either love or hate it. I will never use it again. However if it works for you and you are happy, stay with it.
Remember it takes up a lot of resources thoogh. I hope this helps.
phantazy

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

I also recommend uninstalling all Norton products. There are several excellent freeware antivirus, antispyware, and firewall programs that will equal if not out preform Norton.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:02 AM

I have gotten rid of it, thankyou very much for your help.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

I used Norton for years (it was free from the company I worked for). But it has 3 faults:
1) It's a resource hog and will slow your system down.
2) It's a "pay-ware" program - you've gotta pay to use it. There's plenty of free-ware programs that are just as good, if not better than Norton
3) It had security holes in it the last time I used it (it would only scan 3 levels deep inside a compressed file - and the hackers knew it!). This may have been fixed in the newer versions.

My wife uses Norton and loves it! But she's coming over to the AVG Free camp from seeing what it's done for me!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ChristopherJubbly

ChristopherJubbly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:32 AM

If you people are interested ... I just installed Norton 2006 System works.

I installed the whole package as recommended and encountered massive problems ... my disk seemed to be running like a 'slug' !

I eventually ran a Sped Disk via Norton Utilities ... it just ground to a halt.

I finally worked out the Norton Goback and Ghost were taking up all the resources ... I uninstaleld these 2 components and the PC went back to 'normal. The moral seesm to be, although Norton Restrore may be functionlly sound, it ruins the performance of your PC !

My PC is just over a year old ... so it's normally no slkouch !

Chris

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

I liked Norton 2002.
I've disliked each successive version less, because of what usama clearly stated.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 Pauli

Pauli

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

I just received fm Net Zero a copy of Norton AV but after reading all these posts, I'm definitely not putting it on my puter. By the way it was free but I'll stick w/AVG which is also free & have used it 4 yrs. with no problems.

Happy 2006 all, stay safe & warm. It's very cold here in Mass.

Pauli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users