Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Won't Print Sometimes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

I work for a non-profit employment organization and we have a small computer lab for our clients. We have four computers setup, two with Windows XP Pro SP2 and two with Windows 2000 SP4. The printer is a Brother HL-2070N connected to one of the Windows 2000 machines via its printer port and is accessed via the network by the other three.

Here's the problem: occassionally (about once a week it seems) one (or more) of the computers will no longer be able to print. It's always been one of the XP machines, never the Win 2000's. Usually what I have to do is delete the printer from the machine then add it again. Afterwards, it works fine... for a while. This only happens when logged in under a "Standard User" account. When I log on using the Administrator's account, everything works fine.

Does this have something to do with having mixed OS's? Should the two computers running Win 200 be upgraded or should the printer be attached to one of the Win XP machines?

A coworker suggested promoting the Client accounts to "Power User" level. This seems to alleviate the problem but I'm uncomfortable with giving our clients such privileges when I'm the one responsible for keeping the lab up and running and free of viruses & spyware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chasgreen55

chasgreen55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Is the printer attached to a XP or 2000 box? Make sure the printer is shared and that everyone permissions are set to "print". I have had this problem when sharing a printer on an 2000 box also. I found that XP is sometimes not backward compatible to 2000 when it comes to mapping or printing (it's a Chairman Bill thing).

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

It's connected to a Windows 2000 machine.

How do I check to see if all users have the proper permissions? I know how to do it on the employee network which has a domain and a server and each user has a network account. But the lab computers have no domain nor a server just a common network router, and the accounts are local to each machine.

#4 chasgreen55

chasgreen55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

Click "start" "settings" "printers". once you have opened the printers, right click on the printer you want ans select "properties". Check the tab "sharing" to make sure that it is shared. After that, select the tab "security", look to see if "everyone" has "print" checked. by clicking on everyone the permissions will be shown. If you want you can change their permissions you can do it there without changing the user rights within the OS.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

If you will install a print server it will eliminate the problem. It will also stop any chance of a client breeching your computer system.

Walmart

Best Buy

CompUSA

JustDeals

Edited by acklan, 30 December 2005 - 08:44 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users