Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Half Life 2 And Counter Strike: Source/new Video Card

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Stormeh

Stormeh

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

Okay, before I state the problem, I will give some background info. Yesterday I updated the drivers for my ati radeon all-in-wonder 8500dv card. Everything was fine, running smoothly and not lagging. Then today, I took out my old card and put in my new radeon 9550. When i booted my computer up, there was a program called "Ati Display Drivers" and it added "Radeon 9500" and "Radeon 9500 Secondary" after installing my new card into my computer, I went to add and remove programs and got rid of all the ati things, and got rid of my 8500dv out of the "Ati Display Drivers" program and put in the software cd. It installed all the software for my new card, drivers, something called hydravision..ati remote wonder, media center and then it reconfigured my screen to 1280 x 1024 pixels and I restarted my computer.

When it booted up and got to the login screen, everything was laggy. Now whenever I try to do anything, it lags. When I scroll on a website, (I use firefox) it scrolls in lines and lags, whenever I open anything, programs or I click on the start menu, it takes forever to open and see all the programs, and then when I click off, it takes forever to go away.

Now I am trying to play Half Life 2, and it worked yesterday, I just clicked on the icon and it booted up and I got into the game and could actually play. Now it wont even load, I click on the icon, the cursor changes to a timer thing and then goes back to regular and nothing happens.

I tried starting the program with every one of the 5 cd's in the drive and it still has not booted up. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

I'm not posivitive that this is the case, but did you upgrade your power-source with your card?

I've read in many mags and on many sites that if you upgrade your vidcard and don't have the proper power supply to run it, it could cause problems such as that, especially if the jump between graphix card capabilities is a big one...

But i highly suggest getting a second opinion on this one...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 28 December 2005 - 04:44 PM.

#3 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

well my power supply is a solid 300 w output, and should be fun to handle the card/

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

does the 12v rail have an 18+ amp on it? sometimes the power supply cannot give the vid card the power it needs when it needs it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

I'm just asking this question by the way you worded your post.

Did you uninstall your ATI drivers before putting in the new card?

I know you said you updated them for the old card, but if this is the case, you have to uninstall your drivers before you switch video cards then you have to install new drivers.

#6 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

I turned off the computer

I took out old card and put in new.

I turned on computer

I uninstalled all old drivers.

I installed new drivers.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

I turned off the computer

I took out old card and put in new.

I turned on computer

I uninstalled all old drivers.

I installed new drivers.

yea, you uninstall old drivers before you take out the old card.

#8 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:46 PM

So what do I do?

I fixed the problems by decreasing hardware accelration to none, but what does that effect? would it hurt gameplay?

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:01 AM

I believe maxing hardware accelaration is good for performance. What should help is if you change that back and then uninstall your ati drivers (It should prompt you to reboot once you uninstall the drivers, if not, reboot right after you uninstall them) then reinstall the drivers and reboot again.

*edit* also, using the program Drivercleaner will help, but I think its more for if somebody is switching from an Ati card and drivers to Nvidia drivers and card and vice versa.

Edited by Wizdabest, 29 December 2005 - 12:05 AM.

#10 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:04 AM

I will try that, thanks

After, I will update on status

#11 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

good luck and hope that will solve the problems.

#12 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:26 AM

HUZZAH!

It is all better!

Thank you so much,
~Stormeh~

#13 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:33 AM

Glad to hear that its solved. Happy gaming, though I would probably reccomend a better video card for Half Life 2 to enjoy more eye candy goodness of the source engine, but still, a games a game, enjoy.

*edit* yea, just make sure that you always uninstall the old drivers first then replace whatever it is then install new drivers.

Edited by Wizdabest, 29 December 2005 - 12:40 AM.

#14 til5101

til5101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

I have an ATi Radeon 9550 256mb graphics card, I completed half life 2 on christamas day with no lag whatsoever.

Edited by til5101, 01 January 2006 - 04:43 PM.

#15 Stormeh

Stormeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

what are your other stats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users