Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Links In Ie Are Being Redirected


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DamonHill

DamonHill

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

Greetings,

My home machine has begun to act strangely. I have first followed the virus/spyware tutorial as best as I could but am still having a problem.

I am running Windows 2000 and IE version 6. When I visit some websites the links on that site send me to random other sites. These sites are benign (Google, eBay, etc) but I cannot seem to make the machine behave properly.

Procedures completed: Spybot, Adaware, spyguard, and online Housecall and Bit Defender (Panda did not work, popup-blocker or something) along with Norton Symantec and I think something called spyware blaster. A number of other nasty things have been removed but this problem still exists. I have tried to use Foxfire to access these sites but the same problem exists there which leads me to believe there is something lurking in the Windows registry. This is as far as I can go on my own without additional help.

I am currently at work and cannot provide more details until later. When I get home I will add anything else I feel is pertinent.

Is there something else I need to do before posting a HJT file? The rest of the machine seems to be running fine and some websites seem to be completely unaffected while others are not accessible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

DamonHill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

Could you post links to the sites you're having troubles with, and explain which links aren't working?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DamonHill

DamonHill
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

Ok, here is an example of the problem. (Once again I am at work and had to do this from memory).

http://www.logicmazes.com/links.html This is the main site and when I click on the link about 1/3 of the way down called Web Sudoku it sometimes takes me to Google homepage or eBay homepage. I can type the address into a blank browser and it will take me to the intended site. However, when I click on it directly it occasionally sends me elsewhere.

I will try some experimenting when I get home but I think this most often occurs when I click on a link that takes me to a different site. For example, if I am on the ESPN site and click to go somewhere else on the ESPN site there is never a problem. However, if I click on something that takes me outside ESPN it redirects me to an unintended place. I can copy the link and paste it into a browser and it will work but not from a direct click.

This is why it is so perplexing. It does not always happen and I can detect no other weirdness (home page is not altered, no bizarro favorite places, etc).

I can ignore this for now. I'd just rather not have it escalate into a larger problem if left unchecked.

Thanks.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

    Lord Spam Magnet


  • Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW Louisiana
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:15 PM

I tried the links with Firefox, and didn't have any problems.
Have you cleaned out your temporary internet files lately?
Open IE.
Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click OK.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DamonHill

DamonHill
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:39 PM

I have no problem doing this from my work computer either, only on my personal machine does it malfunction. This is what concerns me.

I have not done that method lately but use cleanmgr.exe instead. It was my understanding that this performed the same function (according to an IT guy). I will try this method as well to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the advice.


Cheers,

DamonHill




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users