Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud.c

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChristopherJubbly

ChristopherJubbly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

My PC is infected with a Trojan called Smitfraud.C. This is detected by Spybot !

I have reda the solution to Smitfraud.A but am not sure if the thing I have is a variation on it Smitfraud.C[i]

I've tried booting up in Safe mode, and running Spybot - but it says it can't repair it because bits of the 'program' are already in Memory ! This figure because I can see a rogue entry in the toolbar which insists on warning me that my PC is infected.

I'm going to try running the solution as detailed on thsi site tomorrow ... wish me luck !

Any support will be welcome !

Chris (England)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:19 PM

ChristopherJubbly,

First of all I'd like to say Welcome to Bleeping Computer. You have come to the right place to get your computer cleaned up. My recommendation is as you state, to post a HijackThis log.

And here's some additional information about the HijackThis process:

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Be (Smitfraud.C.) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ChristopherJubbly

ChristopherJubbly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:39 AM

I'm sorry I have already fixed it using info from this site.

I installed Norton 2006 last week and have a parallel problem with performance ... eventually tracked it down to running Norton Goback and Ghost .... resource hungry.

I have a modicum of background in IT, but have a M/F background although I've designed a few Server / Distributed Systems.

Thanks for your help this is a very valuable service

Chris J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users