Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

matching memory to processor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Flabum

Flabum

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

It's been a while since I built a system and have been out of the loop. I know with the older processors (P-4 and older) how to match frequency with the memory. The newer ones I'm not so sure of. When I put this system together, I took the advice from the store employee but I want to learn how to do it myself.

I'm running a 2,8 Gig i5-760 LGA1156 with 8Gigs of PC3-12800 1600mhz memory on an Asus P7P55D-E LX board

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

With the newer processors the memory controller is built into the CPU. This limits the type and speeds of memory supported by the motherboard. The best way to select parts IMO is to select the CPU first. Then select a compatable motherboard and use the motherboard specs to select the appropriate memory for the computer.

edit:The front side bus you are refering to does not exist anymore. The memory frequency is completely controlled by the memory controller built into the processor.

Edited by Baltboy, 03 April 2011 - 11:12 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Flabum

Flabum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

so basically, use the fastest memory the board can handle? Or are there other considerations?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Pretty much. The only things to watch out for are the following:

1. Sometimes the board will list memory with an (OC). I tend to stay away from these since they are really for people that are going to overclock the board and aren't always stable in a standard system.

2. Memory voltages. Some of the faster memory standards have performance memory that runs at a higher voltage than many non-enthusiast motherboards can handle. Stick with the voltage specified by the board.

3. Check if the board supports dual or triple channel memory systems. If so installing memory in pairs for dual channel or triples for triple channel will get you the best performance out of your system.

4. When building systems with ddr2 or ddr3 spend the extra to get memory with heatsinks already on them. This stuff gets hot and the heatsinks are well work the couple extra dollars.

5. 32 bit OS's can only address 3.5 GB max so installing more than 4 GB is a waste. However 64 bit OS's can support much more. I think Windows 7 tops out at 192 GB for certain editions so more is better.
Mark Twain

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:40 AM

I can't fathom 192 gig ram, what a configuration. What would a computer be used for with that much ram?Very interesting.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 Flabum

Flabum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

I can't fathom 192 gig ram, what a configuration. What would a computer be used for with that much ram?Very interesting.

At first, it was thoght 64k was overkill.......

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

I think 192GB of ram would suit a big server.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

Right now that much RAM is really not needed unless you are doing some super high end graphics workstation. Think of it as future proofing. Not that long ago 1 GB of memory was ridiculous and now it isnt even enough to run windows 7 64 bit.........
Mark Twain

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, pretty soon we'll probably have terabytes of RAM and hard drives on the order of petabytes. :blink:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

I reckon software are getting more higher usage as they develop through the years which requires more ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users