Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Dell pc from 2005

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VMC14803

VMC14803

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

I have a Dell XPS 400 that was built in 2005. I'm interested in upgrading the motherboard, graphics, HD and memory to something that can run Win7 efficiently. I don't need the latest and greatest parts, just a more modern setup that brings my pc to this decade.

I can handle most hardware upgrades, but what's tripping me is figuring out what motherboard will physically fit my case and serve my needs. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately the form factor for that case is BTX which is standard Intel created a while back to try and replace the ATX standard. It never took hold and consequently isn't manufactured anymore. So save up a few extra dollars and do a complete rebuild instead. The cost of a decent case and power supply will only bump you up another $130 US or so.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users