Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DamSexy

DamSexy

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:04 AM

has anyone heard of the program Registry Mechanic? If so is it alright to use?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

Elsewhere in one of the threads in this forum, Groovicus offered what I think is great advice:

Dump the registry cleaning tools... The only times that I have ever used them, they caused huge problems. They work basically by "guessing" what needs to be fixed. It is an educated guess, but they make mistakes, and sometimes they are critical mistakes. I'm sure some people swear by them. I don't.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...gistry+mechanic

Unless you are very comfortable about making registry changes, and have a good understanding of what is going on, using these programmes can harm your operating system if you make incorrect changes.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 December 2005 - 12:31 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

I use Registry Mechanic, and I recommend it to everyone I know. This program has proved absolutely invaluable, and flawless. Registry Mechanic looks for registry keys that are no longer valid, due to program uninstalls, software relocations, etc. A lot of people do not understand that when you delete a program using the Add/Remove in the Control Panel, there are registry tracks from that program that remainon on your system. If you don't believe it, go to your registry and look for a program that you know is no longer installed or used. You will see it in your registry.

Registry Mechanic does not just "guess" which registry keys need to be deleted. Each registry key is labeled in order of priority to deletion, and what category the registry key falls under. It will list every registry key that needs deleting, but also allows you the ultimate choice of what to delete and what to keep. Each registry key set to be deleted gives a full description of what the registry key is, and what file it came from, so you can see for yourself if the deletion is valid. Registry Mechanic also does a deep scan of your registry. Leaving these empty, invalid registry keys will in time fragment your registry, causing a slow down of speed.

If someone says you are risking a lot by allowing registry keys to be deleted, Registry Mechanic always automanically creates a restore point giving you the option to replace everything that was deleted. I have yet to use this function. Registry Mechanic is a powerful tool that keeps your system clean and running fast, and it is extremly user friendly. Download the trial version, and see what comes up. When I did this, it found over 500 invalid registry keys. I bought it right then and there and i have never regreted it.....

Go to Cnet and read their review. They give it 5 stars as the best registry mechanic out there......
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users