Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google search redirection and commonpriv.log.lock

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnabisset

johnabisset

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

The story so far:
Bought the laptop second hand 2 days ago.
Sony Vaio with Vista Home basic on board.
I loaded AVG and went browsing.
Last night I clicked on a link from the Google search results and ended up somewhere completely different.
This morning there are 2 files on my desktop called commonpriv.log.lock

Googling the 2 issues brought me to you.

Please could you advise what steps I need to take?

John

Edited by SweetTech, 03 April 2011 - 08:03 AM.
moved to AII.--ST.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnabisset

johnabisset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have followed the pre Combofix instructions and have the DDS and GMER/ark logs and will send them if you like, but after running DDS & GMER it specified which virus I had (Warning: possible TDL3 rootkit infection) and goggled that.
I found http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684 and ran it and it worked.

So thank you very much for a brilliant site, sorr y I was not patient enough to wait, but had to hand the laptop back to non technical friend.

John

Edited by johnabisset, 03 April 2011 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users