Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot move large, (7.9Gb) file

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 raff

raff

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

Hi all.

I have been having a problem moving large files and large amounts of data from external hard drives to a laptop.

The orgigonal files, (ISO and .avi's) are coming off a PC with NTFS HD running Win 7 Ultimate. The external hard drives, are a variety of different ones but all have been formatted to NTFS. I can move the files from the PC to the external HD, however when I go to place them on the laptop which is running Win 7 Home Premium with NTFS structure, I get a MS-DOS error or cannot read files. The external HD is always connected I can still see it in my computer and I can still access the files, I just cannot transfer them!

The anti-virus is not flagging up anything either.

Anyone any ideas please, this is driving me mad!!!!!!

Thanks for all replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk /r and then defragging...the external drive?

Louis

#3 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

Yeah one of the drives had bad sectors and was repaired the other one wont finish the chkdsk operation!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

I'd say that bad sectors/bad drives...are your problems.

It's not unusual for bad sectors to prevent user access to files on bad sectors, IMO.

Louis

#5 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Any ideas why the other drive, (verbatim that I had to re-house)wont finish the chkdsk operation?

I will try a move of large files later on the one that I completed the chkdsk /f on.

Edited by raff, 05 April 2011 - 05:43 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

IMO it's simply not worth the potential hassle of trying to re-use faulty drives. You don't know when they're going to cause problems.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

So sorry for the delay. Today I moved a large volume of files, (80+Gb) and had no problems on the external disk that I fixed the errors on.

Does anyone know a good disk recovery for a verbatim HD? - As in to recove bad sectors.

thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

Worth reading, Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3 .

Bad sectors are unuseable...period.

All that can be done is to work around the defects on the hard drive, if anything can be done.

Formatting the drive causes a remap of the drive, with any bad sectors marked and not used as part of the partition structure.

Louis

#9 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

Worth reading, Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3 .

Bad sectors are unuseable...period.

All that can be done is to work around the defects on the hard drive, if anything can be done.

Formatting the drive causes a remap of the drive, with any bad sectors marked and not used as part of the partition structure.

Louis

Thanks for the link. I understand that the bad sectors cannot be used again but Windows wont let me 'fix' the bad areas. I was wondering is there similar but better software out there.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the link. I understand that the bad sectors cannot be used again but Windows wont let me 'fix' the bad areas. I was wondering is there similar but better software out there.

Once a sector is bad, to the best of my knowledge, it stays bad\unrepairable.
Any utility will basically do the same as what MS does. Mark the bad sector so it is not used again.

Have read discussions that a low level format may recover the sectors. But it is inconclusive. It would also involve wiping the whole drive, not just the bad sectors.

Be aware. Once sectors start going bad it is usually a sign of impending total failure. I would not trust the drive(s) in question with critical data.

#11 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

I would not trust the drive(s) in question with critical data.

I really only use it to transfer files between computers and the original stuff isn't deleted until the transfer is complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users