Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Sound Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jazen

jazen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:49 AM

Greetings everyone, I have a rather odd issue with a system I'm repairing for a friend. Its a Gateway 7330GZ laptop and the issue it has specifically relates to sound issues. According to the Device Manager, the audio driver (Conexant AC-Link Audio) is installed and everything is functioning normally. However under Sounds and Audio Devices Properties it shows "No Audio Device". The really puzzling thing is all the windows sounds do work (startup, error, shutdown etc) but nothing else. I've dealt with this laptop on a previous occasion but in that instance, it seems the driver did in fact get uninstalled somehow, yet the system sounds still worked also. This time its slightly different and I'd like to get to the root of the problem. Can this problem be caused by malware?

Thanks,
Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Whenever I suspect something is missing, I start by running a system file check to make sure all the windows files are there. You can do this by going to a command prompt and typing "sfc /scannow". The system file check my ask for an installation disk during the scan, so have it handy.

We'll start with that for now, and move on from there.

#3 jazen

jazen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

Okay, I tried it, however the interesting thing is the system is running Windows xo Home Edition SP3 but it asked for Windows xp Professional SP3, in any event, the latest version I have is Windows xp MCE2005 SP2. All my xp cds are original with no service packs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users