Problem: Hijacking of search engine results (FF and IE)
- When entering in a phrase into FF4's Awesomebar, I will be redirected to search results from search-results.com. This also occur if I am trying to access a site via Awesomebar dropdown (IE- Open FF> Type "F" into bar> click "www.facebook.com/login"> taken to search results from search-results.com). The site also defaults itself to the search field in the top right of the screen. Similar symptoms occur within IE. Steps taken to remedy this have not been fruitful.
- Babylon toolbar installed without my permission (remedied now)
- Some websites no longer keep me logged in upon leaving the site (IE- Youtube). Whether this is related is not certain.
- Computer has booted into black screen showing only the mouse cursor on one occasion since the Malware was contracted. This may not be directly related to the issue (see Steps Taken). Ctrl+Alt+Del sceen appeared as per usual and upon reboot the problem did not persist.
- Computer does seem to be acting marginally slower than usual.
Steps taken to fix problem:
So far I have:
- gone into about:config to set AB default searches to Google multiple times (resets back to search-results.com upon closing the program)
- removed the offending search engine from the list of SEs in the top right search field (reverts upon program close)
- Tried to manually remove the SE from the previous step via deleting the files from FF's install location (Files not present)
- Booted FF into safe mode (no sign of the virus made changes) and reset the browser (virus's changes return upon program restart)
- Scanned computer with Avast (nothing found)
- Scanned computer with latest version of MalwareBytes multiple times (nothing found)
- Scanned computer with Spybot S&D multiple times (Found instances of addware and Spyware and removed them. Did not reappear on subsequent scans)
- Preformed a system restore to two days before what I strongly suspect caused the infection of the computer (shady site download + lapse in judgement) (Problem persists)
This is becoming extremely annoying. I have at this point gotten rid of the virus as best I can tell (Awesomebar hijacking no longer occurs, no more unwanted toolbars, no indications of infection on scanners), but some aspects remain that cause me concern. Namely the list of search engines for FF in the top right search field still default to search-results.com and IE still defaults both bar and search field searches to the offending site. This leads me to think that there are remnants of the virus within my system or even that it is still there within its entirety. I have my computer backed up to an external HD as well as any documents or programs that I cannot readily replace, so I'm ready to kill this thing one and for all.
Any help would greatly appreciated. I noticed a similar instance of this problem on this site from a couple of years ago here, but the user there has a different system than I do (Windows 7 64 bit) so I want to be sure I am doing the right steps before I go about mucking with my computer. Thanks in advance!