Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is extremely unresponsive and lags/freezes at times!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzinator

Buzzinator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:49 AM

I'm using XP Home Edition 2002, SP3.

I don't know why, but this happens way too often and I'm really fed up with it. I figured reformatting would do the trick, but the problem is WORSE somehow.

*Whenever I use Firefox, sometimes I get unresponsive scripts which coincides with the computer freezing in general
*Whenever I start up Windows or log off, it takes MINUTES to do so (usually it takes like 30 seconds to one minute max.)

I'm thinking it might be a registry error/problem, since I had to previously system restore to correct such a problem. I've already done virus scans too, and nothing pops up.

Any help is appreciated, and please let me know if you need more information! I will provide it on request, as long as I know how to. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

If you have formatted the partition...and you have continuing problems...I would think that a check of the hard drive, using the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...would be in order.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

General system slowness and freezing can also be indicative of system overheating, IMO.

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Please describe EXACTLY how you formatted and reinstalled the OS.

#4 Buzzinator

Buzzinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

@hamluis - Will look through those threads, thanks.

@Allan - I initially tried to repair function via the boot CD, and it said that it repaired a file. However, I still got the "system file is corrupt or missing" message. I figured I would do a reformat since it was long overdue, anyways.

So I just completely overwrote and re-installed via the boot CD once again. Verified the Windows once again, and it was back to normal after re-installing my applications.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

I still don't know what you did or how you did it. Did you boot to an original XP CD, format the disc, and then install the OS?

If the answer is yes, did you then install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers?

If the answer is no, please describe EXACTLY what you did IN DETAIL. Thank you.

#6 Buzzinator

Buzzinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:14 AM

@Allan - Apologies, you'll have to bare with me as I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy person in the world.

I never had to install any drivers at all, just the OS itself. I used my original XP CD, came to the blue Windows Setup screen, and just chose to install Windows XP.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Again, before you installed did you format? If not, you may simply have installed a SECOND copy of the OS. Either way, you MUST go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver. After doing that, go to the websites of your other hardware providers (video card, sound card, ethernet card if applicable) and download and install their current drivers.

#8 Buzzinator

Buzzinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Ah, you are right. Seems I have installed a second copy of the OS instead. Figures, blah. Anywho, I've updated whatever drivers I could as you suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users