Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

images on cl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boregard

boregard

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

i think someone is getting my ip adress on cl. can they doit if you click on an image in a post on a craigslist forum? thanks in advance,boregard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

If the image is hosted on a server that this other person controls then they can see the IP address of everyone who accesses it.

#3 boregard

boregard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

thanks andrew, is this how advertisers on cl harvest different ip adresses? and is there any way to tell? what would best way to be safe on cl, just not click on any images or links? i posted on cl rants&raves and someone replied that they were going to tag me when the time was right. thanks for your help,andrew

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Advertisers really have no use of your IP address (aside from generally figuring out where in the world you live) since your IP address can and does change over time. I'd pretty much guarantee that the person who said they were going to "tag" you is completely full of crap, even if they do have your IP address.

Long experience has taught me that when someone tells you that they are going to perform some sort of internet-based attack against you, you can pretty much laugh at them.

If you're still worried then just unplug your modem for 60 seconds; your ISP will issue a new IP address when you plug it back in.

#5 boregard

boregard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

thanks again andrew,i thought advertisers used different peoples ip so they could post alot of adds on cl.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

They may indeed be using a large number of IP addresses, but merely knowing that (for example) Bob Smith is at IP 154.54.87.6 doesn't help them at all in this regard. If they want to fake an IP address then they can make one up like I just did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users