Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Execution Prevention - Generic Host Process

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Raab-Long

Ron Raab-Long

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

As most new posters - I found this group because I have a problem. I'm hoping the colelction knowledge of this forum will help me get to the bottom of this one.

I have several systems on a small network that seem to be passing around a virus that Nortn can't find. The symptoms are the repeated display of a Data Execution Prevented message that simply says that a Generic Host Process has been prevented from running. This comes up repeatedly every time the systems are rebooted, but stops after about 8-10 times. After that they get another message that says a program has attempted to write to memory location 00000000. This shows up randomly the whole time they are runnign the systems. The only other symptom is a general slowing down of everything.

The only systems that seem to be affected are those running Win XP (SP2). There are a few W2K systems that appear to be OK.
I've actually wiped out one of affected systems down to repartitioning the HD, but the problem came back within three weeks. I think it's passing back and forth through the network.
All systems are running at least Norton Anti-Virus 2005, which does not see any problem. Has anyone seen anything like this lately?
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

Is this a personal at home LAN or for a buiness?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Ron Raab-Long

Ron Raab-Long
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:01 PM

It's a small business office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users