Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very peculiar issue with my laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CompFreak95

CompFreak95

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

First, I will mention that (not sure how much of this is useful) my Laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium, 3 GB of RAM, and 2.10 GHz Dual-Core Processor
Okay here's the story. About a week ago, I opened my laptop to use for normal stuff, and I walked away for a minute. I came back, and it was off. Not sleep, hibernate, etc. The power cord was still plugged in.
Just today, the same thing happened, except I caught it when it actually happened. What happened was I got a BSOD, then it shut off. When I attempted to turn it back on, the power symbol turned on and the fan started up, then it shuts off about 2 seconds after. The way it turned off was just like if you took the power cord out of a Desktop Computer. This happened about 3-5 times, until it finally turned on. I then proceeded to try to do a Disk Check on my C: drive (ALL my personal files, and windows system files.) At stage 4/5 of the Disk Check, my laptop abruptly shut off, in the same manner as before (except no BSOD). I went through this 3 times to see if there was a pattern, and there wasn't. Sometimes, it would just shut off at the beginning of the Disk Check, and sometimes near the end. My point being, I can not complete pretty much anything that will help me diagnose the problem, including the HP Diagnostics that I ran from the start up menu, it would shut off. I have run Virus scans with AVG and Malwarebytes and they reported nothing out of the ordinary. As of now, my laptop is stable (I am using it to type this now), and I am going to keep it on until I can diagnose the problem (I don't want to not be able to turn it on). Any ideas on what the problem could be? Personally I think it is either the Power Supply or the Hard Disk but I could be wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

Please download BlueScreenView BlueScreenView

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 CompFreak95

CompFreak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

First off, my Laptop is an Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC.
Second, this may sound weird, but when I opened the BSOD view thing you linked me to, nothing happened. It did absolutely nothing. Almost as if I have no Minidump files for it to show. I'm not exactly sure what else to say about it, except that when the BSOD's occurred, they both filled up only the center of the screen (in a similar view to as if you had a small picture as your desktop background).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

A BSOD looks like the image below, the error information may be different, but that is what it should look like. If this isn't what you are seeing then it isn't a BSOD.

Edit: A BSOD will take up your whole screen when this happens.

Posted Image

Do you have enough time when this occurrs to read the message?

Please check the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times. Each error has a date and time.

Go to Start> Run and type in eventvwr.msc then press Enter.

When the Event Viewer opens click on Applications in the left pane.

If you double click on an error a description of the error will open. Click on the copy icon, (the copy icon is highlighted with the red square in the picture below), once this is done you can right click and paste this description. Please post the error description/s in your next post in this topic.

Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 02 April 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 CompFreak95

CompFreak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

My Event Viewer looks a lot different than your picture, and I'm not sure how to get the right event because there are so many of them. I think that was a picture of the Windows XP Event viewer, and I'm using the Windows 7 one. I also do not know what time the crashes occurred, making it a bit more difficult to figure out which event tells about it.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

There are three different types of events, error, warning, or information. What you are looking for a errors, these are denoted by a red circle with a white exclamation mark inside. Look for the most recent event errors.

Please post the error ID/s.

Edited by dc3, 03 April 2011 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users